To manage within Core all issues related to the acquisitions of resources in world languages; to liaise, as appropriate, with other ALA units and relevant outside agencies with similar interests; and maintain the Foreign Book Dealers Directory.
This committee is part of the Metadata & Collections Section.
Displaying active committee roster as of 12/05/2023. Last retrieved on 12/05/2023. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
A chair and 6 to 8 members
About this Committee
- Makes a continuing assessment of the acquisition of materials from countries outside of the United States.
- Makes a continuing assessment of book dealers who obtain materials from countries outside of the United States and of book dealers who sell materials in languages other than English.
- Maintains the Foreign Book Dealers Directory to keep it as accurate as possible.
- Communicates findings to the library profession through committee reports, articles in professional journals, conference presentations, online forums, or any other channels that seem feasible or desirable.
Expected Time Commitment
- Holds 3-4 virtual meetings per year to check on progress for the directory and to discuss or plan for other initiatives related to assisting with the purchase of materials in languages other than English or for the purchase of materials outside of the United States.
- Works at least 1 hour per month to review book dealer directory information for the Foreign Book Dealers Directory.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Interest or experience in acquisitions and continuing resources
- Language expertise is strongly preferred, but generalist acquisitions specialists may also participate
- Familiarity with other groups in this interest area