Solicits submissions, selects, annotates, and presents for publication annually, the list of notable children's science fiction books published in the preceding year.
Books will be considered for children in three age groups:
- picture books for preschool and early readers;
- illustrated chapter books or short novels for older grade school students, ages 7-11; and
- YA books for teens ages 12-18.
The Core Committee Recognizing Excellence in Children’s and Young Adult Science Fiction Notable Lists will be produced annually; in addition special recognition may be given for books that don’t exactly fit the categories. Titles that appear on the Lists are those that have been read, evaluated, and discussed by the full committee, in accordance with the committee's policies and procedures, and that the committee has come to a consensus that these titles are worthy of being placed on the Lists.
Displaying active committee roster as of 03/20/2023. Last retrieved on 03/20/2023. Members can log in and refresh the page to view full contact information for committee members.
Consists of a chair, 5-7 members, an administrative assistant who serves a 3-year term, and the past chair serving in an ex officio capacity to ensure transfer of knowledge. One member will be the Core Imagineering Interest Group Chair or his/her designee. Members (other than the administrative assistant and Imagineering IG Chair) are appointed for staggered 2-year terms and cannot be appointed to consecutive terms except to serve in chair/past chair capacity. Chair appointments will be for 2 years, with the person acting as past chair in the 2nd year.
About this Committee
- Reads, rates, discusses, and selects titles for each year's Notable Lists;
- Writes each year's news release;
- Helps promote each year's Notable Lists.
Expected Time Commitment
- Holds 10-12 virtual meetings and no face-to-face meetings each year;
- Group members work an average of 8 hours per month reading eligible titles throughout the year;
- October and November are the busiest months of the year, because this is when the Committee determines selections for the Notable Lists.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Familiarity with children's and young adult literature.