Build America's Libraries Act
Introduced on January 28, 2021 by Sen. Jack Reed (D-RI), along with Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), and Ron Wyden (D-OR), the Build America's Libraries Act would fund upgrades to the nation's library infrastructure to address challenges such as natural disasters, COVID-19, broadband capacity, environmental hazards, and accessibility barriers. This groundbreaking legislation would pave the way for new and improved library facilities in underserved communities across the country. Join us in the effort to support this bill and #BuildLibraries.
Urge your Senators to support the Build America's Libraries Act.
Click to expand.
- ALA one-pager: Build America's Libraries Act
- Press release: ALA acclaims reintroduction of Build America's Libraries Act
- Bill text: S. 127
What are the biggest challenges you face in your library facilities? What impact would this legislation have on your community? Share your story with ALA to help make the case for federal support for library construction and modernization. Your elected officials want to hear concrete examples of impact and need from their constituents - increase your impact by sharing your story.
Take a moment to tell your community how important it is that we pass this legislation and #BuildLibraries. Use our social media graphics (Facebook graphic / Twitter graphic) and sample posts to spread the word. Don't forget to follow @LibraryPolicy and #BuildLibraries on Twitter for more updates!
Invite your member of Congress to a virtual tour of your library - raise awareness and build a relationship to help cultivate a library champion. You can use our checklist for planning a virtual tour, and watch an example tour hosted by Clinton-Macomb Public Library's Larry Neal, featuring Rep. Andy Levin (D-MI-9).
Supporters of the Build America’s Libraries Act:
Click to expand.
- Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
- American Indian Library Association
- American Institute of Architects
- American Library Association
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Society of Interior Designers
- Association for Rural & Small Libraries
- Association of Research Libraries
- Association of Tribal Archives, Libraries, and Museums
- Chief Officers of State Library Agencies
- Council of State Archivists
- Education Market Association
- International WELL Building Institute
- National Coalition for History
- National Coalition for Literacy
- National Digital Inclusion Alliance
- National Humanities Alliance
- National League of Cities
- National Summer Learning Association
- Schools, Health & Libraries Broadband Coalition
- Society of American Archivists
- Urban Libraries Council