The American Library Association (ALA) Public Programs Office empowers libraries to create vibrant hubs of learning, conversation and connection in communities of all types.
Our staff works closely with librarians, humanities scholars, artists and documentarians, STEM and financial literacy experts, and others to create nationwide programming opportunities, grants and traveling exhibitions for U.S. libraries. We are advised by ALA's Public and Cultural Programs Advisory Committee (PCPAC).
At any given time, multiple PPO-supported projects are under way in libraries across the United States. Current PPO grant projects include:
- American Dream Literacy Initiative
- American Rescue Plan: Humanities Grants for Libraries
- Americans and the Holocaust
- Community Connect: Digital Access at Home
- Great Stories Club
- Let's Talk About It: Women's Suffrage
- Libraries Transform Communities Engagement Grant
- Libraries Transforming Communities: Focus on Small and Rural Libraries
- Media Literacy Education in Libraries for Adult Audiences
- NASA @ My Library
- National Impact of Library Public Programs Assessment (Phase 2)
- Peggy Barber Tribute Grant
- Revisiting the Founding Era
- STAR Net STEAM Equity
- Teaching with Primary Sources: Libraries & Women's Suffrage
- Thinking Money for Kids
Interested in hosting a PPO program or exhibition in your library? Learn about our current offerings.
Above photo: Patrons at the Salem (Ore.) Public Library view Thinking Money, an exhibition created by the FINRA Investor Education Foundation in partnership with the ALA Public Programs Office. Learn more about Thinking Money.
More PPO Resources
- Programming Librarian, an online resource center for programming ideas, professional development, grant opportunities, and free, on-demand online courses
- ALA Programming & Exhibitions, a website with information about current and past PPO projects
- Cultural Communities Fund, ALA's endowment to support excellence and innovation in community-focused library programming
- Learn about PPO's history
- View our annual reports from 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015
Stay in Touch
- Sign up to receive PPO's Programming Librarian e-newsletter. This bimonthly email includes highlights from the website, as well as current opportunities, related news and job announcements.
- Join our ALA Connect groups to stay up to date on PPO activities and network with fellow programming librarians.
- Join the Programming Librarian Interest Group (PLIG) page on Facebook. (Please note: This is a closed group. To become a member, log into your Facebook account, search for "Programming Librarian Interest Group," and send a request to join.)
- View our staff contact list