State and Local Resources Related to COVID-19
- Planning for Reopening resources
- Community Assets for Response, Recovery, and Resilience: a one-pager for community leaders. Download to customize with an example from your own library/organization (right hand box) and your logo (towards bottom of page).
- How Community Leaders Can Partner with Libraries During the Response and Recovery: a one-page overview for elected officials and funders
- Template letter to governors regarding use of CARES Act funds for libraries
- ALA's compilation of State Associations' COVID-19 response pages
- Visit #LibrariesStrong to see how libraries are adapting programs and services to meet the needs of their communities.
CARES Act (federal stimulus):
- Information for States from National Council of State Legislators
- CARES Act Analysis from the National Association of Counties
- CARES Act Summary from National League of Cities
- CARES Act provisions for associations and nonprofits summarized by the American Society of Association Executives
- Infographic on Coronavirus Relief Loans, from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Information about state actions:
- State by state legislative and funding actions, from Fiscal Note
- Summaries of state bills in response to Coronavirus, from GovPredict
- Summaries of state executive orders in response to Coronavirus, from GovPredict
- Nonprofit resources from the National Council of NonProfits
- National League of Cities' COVID-19 Local Action Tracker
For information on ALA's federal policy and advocacy work, visit the Advocacy and Public Policy home page
ALA engages with a national network of partners to strengthen libraries of all types and build stronger communities across the country. The Public Policy and Advocacy Office coordinates those efforts at the state and local level in collaboration with other ALA offices and divisions, state chapters, affiliates and grassroots library supporters, in accordance with the association's state & local protocol. Need help right away? Visit our Advocacy Assistance page for a list of contacts.
A comprehensive, searchable collection of advocacy resources from across the association can be found in ALA's Advocacy Library. Search by topic, library type or keyword.
Visit ALA Chapters for Information about our 57 state and regional associations. ALA works with state chapters to amplify the voices of local advocates, and offers advocacy software that connects library supporters with legislators and decision-makers at all levels of government. See ALA's state-by-state listing for additional details.
The Chapter Advocacy Exchange is a webinar series that addresses a range of advocacy issues and shares best practices from member leaders. These webinars are developed jointly by the Public Policy and Advocacy Office and the Chapter Relations Office.
State Legislative Session Calendars
The National Conference of State Legislatures compiles information on legislative sessions in each state, district, and territory.