ALA's advocacy and public policy staff are committed to helping library workers, policy analysts, government officials, and the public to identify and prepare for the future. Our research covers a broad range of issues, all related to how libraries serve the public and uphold the public's right to free and open information.
- October 2018: Libraries and the 2020 Census
Libraries are essential, trusted partners in achieving a complete count in the 2020 Census.
- September 2018: Equitable Opportunity for Tribal Communities through Libraries
Broadband is essential for learning, working, and daily life overall. Correcting poor broadband across Indian Country is a national imperative.
- January 2018: Libraries and E-rate: Leveraging Broadband to Provide Opportunity Across the Nation
Broadband is an essential infrastructure for libraries. Whether advancing education, employment, entrepreneurship, empowerment, or engagement, the work of libraries demands robust and reasonably-priced internet connectivity.
- April 2017: Careers for America’s Youth in the Digital Age
The nation’s 120,000 libraries represent a cost-effective method for developing opportunities for youth to code, thus driving job growth and innovation across a range of economic sectors in the digital age.
- March 2017: Libraries Help and Honor Our Veterans: Employment, Education and Community Connection
As service members become Veterans, they and their families have many needs, and America’s libraries are well-positioned to address them.
- January 2017: From Baby's First Words: Libraries Promote Early Learning
Libraries are trusted leaders in boosting early learning and strengthening K–12 school learning.
- January 2017: Digital Empowerment and America's Libraries
America’s libraries are essential to addressing the vision of universal broadband adoption and digital literacy.
- December 2016: The Manufacturing Sector & The Knowledge Economy: Expanding Opportunity through Libraries
Libraries are established centers for learning and advancement and enable broad economic opportunity.
- November 2016: One Small Business at a Time: Building Entrepreneurial Opportunity in America’s Communities
Libraries are a cost-effective, turnkey national network of resources for implementing new initiatives advancing entrepreneurship.