ALA actively advocates in defense of the rights of library users to read, seek information, and speak freely as guaranteed by the First Amendment. A publicly supported library provides free and equal access to information for all people of that community. We enjoy this basic right in our democratic society. It is a core value of the library profession.
Intellectual Freedom Action Areas
- Banned and Challenged Books
- Censorship and First Amendment Issues
- Challenges to Library Materials
- Library Bill of Rights
- Intellectual Freedom Manual
- Intellectual Freedom Q&A
- Intellectual Freedom Toolkits
- Intellectual Freedom Online Learning offerings
- Intellectual Freedom Statements and Guidelines
- Intellectual Freedom on District Dispatch
For more information and additional resources, contact the Office for Intellectual Freedom.