The American Library Association advances key policy priorities by lobbying Congress, partnering with coalitions, and helping our library supporters in the field build strong relationships with their elected officials. ALA's Public Policy and Advocacy team serves as the voice for libraries in Washington, D.C. Through strengthening connections with members of Congress, grassroots mobilization, and regulatory advocacy, ALA aims to drive federal policy on the issues that impact libraries.
ALA's success depends on the library community's collective efforts to advocate for policies that positively impact patrons and the ability of libraries to serve them effectively. We hope you will use these resources in your advocacy work at home.
Be Part of the Process
- Join ALA's grassroots network. By joining, grassroots network members not only become part of a national movement for libraries but also gain access to a variety of resources for increasing awareness and staying engaged year-round.
- Participate in our legislative discussion group on ALA Direct. Ask questions and talk about legislative issues directly with the Committee on Legislation.
- Download a copy of ALA's 2020 Congressional Calendar
- Explore which bills we are tracking in the 116th Congress
- See our growing list of coalition partners