Created by the ALA Public Programs Office in collaboration with StoryCorps, StoryCorps @ your library (SCL) was a national program that partnered with public libraries across the country to engage their communities and expand their influence.
The two-year program connected libraries with powerful oral history resources and training and encouraged multi-format public programming on broad themes of oral narrative and local history that may be tailored to specific locales, holidays or heritage months.
Following a competitive application process, ALA and StoryCorps selected 10 library sites in 2014 and 2015. Awarded libraries were determined by their level of interest and ability to successfully carry out the project. These sites received a $2,500 stipend; promotional support materials; professional recording equipment; in-person training for library staff and volunteers; tools to offer their patrons to prepare for their StoryCorps interview experience; and access to significant StoryCorps edited content.
Resources developed for StoryCorps @ your library are available for all public libraries. For more information, download "StoryCorps @ your library: A Toolkit for Success."
SCL was funded by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Participating libraries (2014)
- San Francisco Public Library, San Francisco, CA
- Chicago Public Library, Chicago, IL
- Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Libraries, Tampa, FL
- Somerville Public Library, Somerville, MA
- Octavia Fellin Public Library, Gallup, NM
- Bellmore Memorial Library, Bellmore, NY
- Greensboro Public Library, Greensboro, NC
- Multnomah County Public Library, Portland, OR
- Nashville Public Library, Nashville, TN
- Smithville Public Library, Smithville, TX
Participating libraries (2015)
- Chattahoochee Valley Libraries, Columbus, GA
- Monterey County Free Libraries, Marina, CA
- North Miami Public Library, North Miami, FL
- Ferguson Municipal Public Library District, Ferguson, MO
- Providence Community Library, Providence, RI
- Flint Public Library, Flint, MI
- Rochester Public Library, Rochester, NY
- Breathitt County Public Library, Jackson, KY
- Juneau Public Library, Juneau, AK
- Nisqually Indian Tribe - Library, Olympia, WA