Directory of ALA-Accredited and Candidate Programs in Library and Information Studies
ALA-accredited master’s programs can be found at colleges and universities in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. These programs offer degrees with names such as Master of Library Science (MLS), Master of Arts, Master of Librarianship, Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS), and Master of Science. ALA accreditation indicates that the program has undergone an external review and meets the ALA Committee on Accreditation’s Standards for Accreditation of Master’s Programs in Library and Information Studies .
The directory, available in four unique formats, provides information about library and information studies programs that are accredited by the American Library Association (ALA). The ALA Office for Accreditation publishes the directory annually, and provides the opportunity for programs to update their entries when information changes. This directory offers summary information only. Please consult the school directly for in-depth information regarding programs, course offerings, distance education programs, admissions, financial aid, and degrees. See the guidelines for choosing a master's program in library and information studies for help in selecting the master's program that is right for you.
The directory is available in the following formats:
Directory of ALA-accredited programs in a searchable database format (use this directory for the most complete and current information)
- Directory of ALA-accredited programs in pdf format (clicking this link will download the entire directory, current as of date listed)
- Directory of ALA-accredited programs as a Google Map
- Directory of ALA-accredited programs by institution
The above directories contain listings for currently accredited programs only. See the Historical List of ALA-Accredited programs for all programs accredited since 1925.
The following programs are in Candidacy status seeking ALA accreditation:
- Chicago State University Master of Science in Library and Information Science (Accreditation decision in June 2019)
- University of Southern California Master of Management in Library and Information Science (Accreditation decision in January 2017)
The following programs are in Precandidacy status:
- Southern Connecticut State University Master of Library and Information Science
- University College London Master of Arts Library and Information Studies
For a career as a school librarian in a pre-kindergarten through 12th grade setting, a master’s degree with a specialty in school librarianship from an educational unit accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) (formerly NCATE) and recognized by the American Association of School Librarians (AASL) is also appropriate.
Report problems with the directories to firstname.lastname@example.org.