The 2015 Standards were adopted by approval of the Council of the American Library Association (the Council) on February 2, 2015. Revision of standard element V.3 was adopted by the Council on January 28, 2019.* Implementation of the Standards is as follows:
- Programs scheduled for a comprehensive review visit in spring 2017 or later will begin reporting to the 2015 Standards beginning with narrative reports due in December 2015. That way, the narrative reports can aid development of the Program Presentation.
- Programs with comprehensive review visits in spring 2015 through fall 2016 will continue to report to the 2008 Standards until after the accreditation decision is made. A program in this category has the option to use the 2015 Standards upon written notification to the Office.
- Programs placed on Conditional status under the 2008 Standards will continue to report to the 2008 Standards until after the next accreditation decision.
*This 2019 edition reflects an adjustment to the first sentence of ALA standard element V.3 to respond to Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) requirements that accreditors confine standards to what is necessary for student learning and achievement, “refer to resources only to the extent required for students to emerge from institutions or programs appropriately prepared” (CHEA 2010 standard 12A5/ 2018 standard 10D).
2015 Standards for Accreditation of Master's Programs in Library and Information Studies (revised 1/28/19) [pdf]
- 2015 Standards in spreadsheet format with numbered paragraphs and space for notes (revised 1/28/19) [Excel]
Accreditation Process, Policies and Procedures (AP3), fourth edition (released June 2015)
Accreditation Process, Policies and Procedures (AP3), fourth edition (released June 2015; Updated: May 2017) [pdf]
- Release notes for AP3, fourth edition, June 2015 [pdf]
- Update notes for AP3, fourth edition, May 2017 [pdf]
- Update notes for AP3, fourth edition, November 2017 [pdf]
- Update notes for AP3, fourth edition, April 13, 2018 [pdf]
- Update notes for AP3, fourth edition, April 27, 2018 [pdf]