This award of $2,000 is funded by Friends of YALSA and is given out every other year (applications are accepted during odd years only). The grant recognizes a member who has demonstrated significant, unique and sustained devotion to young adult services through substantial work across the trajectory of their career in any two or more of these initiatives:
- Conducting and publishing research for young adult services, related to YALSA's Research Agenda
- Publication or presentation of knowledge or best practices relating to library services for and with young adults, as outlined by YALSA's guidelines
- Advocating for library services for young adults
- Mentoring of other professionals in the field of young adult library services
- Notable efforts in furthering the mission of YALSA
One recipient will be designated every two years. Suitable candidates are those who have a significant body of work over the course of their career that has had a compelling and lasting impact on teen services or YALSA. If a suitable candidate is not found, the jury will remain active and present an award the following year.
Applications are due by December 1 in odd-numbered years. Please submit nominations online. Nominations must be submitted by December 1.
- 2018 - Mary K. Chelton
- 2016 - Betsy Fraser
- 2014 - Pam Spencer Holley
- 2013 - Gretchen Kolderup
- 2010 - Patty Campbell
- 2008 - Michael Cart
- Self-nominations are allowed.
- The nominee is a current personal member of ALA/YALSA. The nominator does not need to be a member of ALA or YALSA (so long it is not a self-nomination).
- The nominee meets two or more of the criteria listed above (research, publishing, advocacy, mentoring, YALSA mission support)
- The nominee has a significant body of work over the course of their career that has had a compelling and lasting impact on teen services or YALSA. This award is not for an individual achievement; rather, it's for a body of work or a sustained effort over a number of years.
- All entries must be submitted online.
- Entries should be models of clarity and completeness.
- Questions should be directed to Nichole O'Connor at email@example.com or at: 800/545-2433 x 4387
- Applications are only accepted during odd years and must be received no later than December 1.