The Michael L. Printz Award is an award for a book that exemplifies literary excellence in young adult literature. It is named for a Topeka, Kansas school librarian who was a long-time active member of the Young Adult Library Services Association. The award is sponsored by Booklist, a publication of the American Library Association.
By Laura Ruby
Published by Balzer + Bray, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
Told from alternating viewpoints, Bone Gap perfectly melds elements of fairy tales, myths, gothic romance, and magic realism into the story of Finn, who lives in a town with gaps in the very fabric of time and place.
2016 Honor Books
The Ghosts of Heaven
By Marcus Sedgwick
Published by Roaring Brook Press, an imprint of Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group
Sedgwick connects four seemingly disparate stories, each of which feature a character haunted by the ever-present shape of a spiral. Spanning time, space, and genre, each story raises powerful questions about human nature.
Out of Darkness
By Ashley Hope Pérez
Published by Carolrhoda Lab™, an imprint of Carolrhoda Books, a division of Lerner publishing Group
In 1937 East Texas, Mexican American Naomi and African American Wash begin a bittersweet romance. Perez’s beautifully crafted novel is a moving portrayal of both powerful love and a period marked by oppressive, destructive racism.
Members of the 2016 Printz Award Committee are: Chair April J. Witteveen, Deschutes (Ore.) Public Library; Paige Battle, Grant High School, Portland, Ore.; Robert Bittner, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; Franklin L. Escobedo, Coronado (Calif.) Public Library.; Dolly Goyal, San Mateo County (Calif.) Libraries; Derek J. Ivie, Suffolk (N.Y.) Cooperative Library System; Lalitha Nataraj, Escondido (Calif.) Public Library; Ann Pechacek, Worthington Libraries, Worthington Ohio; Brooke Alison Young, Salt Lake City Public Library; Administrative Assistant Melissa Smith, Forest Hills, N.Y.; and Sarah Hunter, Booklist Consultant, Chicago.
View a complete list of Michael L. Printz winners and honor book authors.
- 2015 Winner: I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- 2014 Winner: Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
- 2013 Winner: In Darkness by Nick Lake
- 2012 Winner:Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley
- 2011 Winner: Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
- 2010 Winner: Going Bovine by Libba Bray
- 2009 Winner: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
- 2008 Winner The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean
- 2007 Winner American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
- 2006 Winner Looking for Alaska by John Green
- 2005 Winner how i live now by Meg Rosoff
- 2004 Winner The First Part Last by Angela Johnson
- 2003 Winner Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers
- 2002 Winner Step from Heaven by An Na
- 2001 Winner Kit's Wilderness by David Almond
- 2000 Winner Monster by Walter Dean Myers
More information on previous winners.