Join YALSA for its webinars! Keep up-to-date on developments in the field with these interactive learning sessions.
Upcoming Live Webinars
All YALSA webinars take place at 2 p.m. Eastern. Webinars are 60 minutes. Beginning Jan. 1, 2014, live webinars are a benefit that are available to members only. Members can sign up for the free webinars via a link that is provided in the weekly YALSA E-news. Not a member yet? Join now and get free access to over $468 worth of e-learning each year!
- September 18: Fencing Out Knowledge: The Impact of CIPA 10 Years Later and What It Means for You
Passed in 2000, CIPA was designed to block adults and minors from accessing online images deemed “obscene", “child pornography”, or “harmful to minors” for minors less than 17 years old under the law by requiring public libraries and schools receiving certain federal funding to install software filters on their internet-accessible computers. The use of the internet is vastly different today than in 2003 when the constitutionality of CIPA was upheld. The internet and devices used to access online content have revolutionized learning opportunities in and out of school. Join Deborah Caldwell-Stone from ALA's Office of Intellectual Freedom (OIF) as she discusses how ALA's Office for Information Technology (OITP) and OIF, with support from Google, Inc., investigated the effects of internet filtering in public libraries and schools, the effectiveness of CIPA as a policy solution, and what it all means for YALSA members today who are working on the front lines.
Interested in future YALSA webinars? Use our calendar to check for dates as we add them.
About the webinars:
- Webinars are 60 minutes long, including time for questions and answers
- Webinars take place at 2 p.m. Eastern.
- All registrants receive:
- a certificate of participation
- access to the recording and PowerPoint slides
- They are commercial-free
- Webinars are delivered by an expert trainer
- All YALSA members get free access to YALSA's webinars two months after they're originally recorded in the Members' Only section of this web site
Questions? Contact Nicole Gibby-Munguia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-545-2433 ext 5293.
- Group registrations for live webinars are available for $195. YALSA’s group rate gives an institution ten logins for the webinar and non-members then have an opportunity to sit in on a live webinar.
- Group registration is available by completing this form (PDF) and then faxing or mailing it in.
- YALSA does not distribute contact information to webinar sponsors.
- YALSA's webinars are led by professional experts, selected by YALSA, and are not employees of paid sponsors.
- YALSA webinars are certified for one Library Education Unit in the state of Indiana.
- All webinars provide one contact hour.
- Learn about YALSA's other continuing education opportunities.
- Interested in sponsoring a YALSA webinar? Find out more in our media and sponsorship kit (PDF).
- Interested in a past YALSA webinar? Read descriptions and buy recordings at the Webinars-on-Demand page.
Members can see archived webinars for free, within 24 hours after they take place, in YALSA's members' only section. All others can purchase access to recent YALSA webinars for $19, available one month after they take place.
Interested in YALSA’s webinars, but want to see if they're right for you? Check out one of our free webinars-on-demand:
- Check-in: Maker Spaces 101, Teens, and You
- Demonstrating Impact Through Teen Summer Reading (sponsored by Dollar General)
- Don’t Get Lost in Translation: Connect with Your Teens through Summer Reading (sponsored by Dollar General)
- Gamification in Libraries: Teen Tech Week (sponsored by Tutor.com)
- Programming for Teen Read Week
- Putting the PRO in Professional: Using Social Media in Your Career Search
- Seeking the Unknown in the Blink of an Eye
- Teens & the Future of Libraries (a series of discussions held jointly with connectedlearning.tv in May 2013)
- VIPS: Why you Need Them for Advocacy