To award $1,000 for collection development to YALSA members who represent a public library and who work directly with young adults ages 12 to 18. Up to two grants will be awarded annually.
Each application will be judged on the basis of:
- The degree of need for additional materials for young adults.
- The degree of the current collection's use and the specificity of examples used.
- The soundness of the rationale for the selection of materials.
- The quality of the description of the benefits this grant will bring to young adults.
- The degree to which the applicant's approach to collection development aligns with the principles in The Future of Library Services for and with Teens: a Call to Action
- All entries must be submitted online.
- All applicants must be current personal members of ALA/YALSA at the time the application is submitted. (Please note that it can take up to 10 days to fully process your application for membership. If you are just joining, please make sure you send a copy of your membership application with the grant application.)
- Entries should be models of clarity and completeness.
- There is a word limit on all sections of the application. If you exceed the limit, your application will not submit.
Application & Deadline
Please Note: Each grantee must submit a one-page report to the YALSA Office within six months of receiving the grant. This report should contain details on how this award has impacted the grant recipient's collection of materials for young adults. (This report may or may not be considered for publication.)
1996 - Alison Kastner and Jean A. Wipf
1997 - Rebecca Smith and Sheila Anderson
1998 - Debra L. Adams and Joy Botts
1999 - Elizabeth S. Gallaway and Karen Hultz
2000 - Lisa Youngblood and J. Anne Hall
2001 - Rachel Kovacs and Kevin Scanlon
2002 - Willie Braudaway and Taralee Alcock
2003 - Jeri Cain and Melanie Barker
2004 - Alison O'Reilly and Judith Isaacs
2005 - Kimberly Archer and Christa Gunderson
2006 - Karin Thogersen and Rachel Orozco
2007 - Carrie Wuensch-Harden and Karen Odom
2008 - Sarah Daviau and Joan Light-Kraft
2009 - Lexie Robinson and Wini Ashooh
2010 - Amy Young and Jessica Neiweem
2011 - Melanie Feyerherm and Keri Weston
2012 - Erik Carlson and Cynthia Shutts
2013 - Cory Eckert and Marie Ritson
2014 - Jennifer McDonald and Carrie Wilson
2015 - Chelsea Couillard-Smith and Robyn Vittek
2016 - Denise Bortolussi and Anna Kilcullen
2017 - Katelyn Marsh and Jeanie Austin
2018 - Savannah Kitchens and Sarah Townsend
2019 - Elise Martinez and Meghan Salsbury