YALSA's National Guidelines and Position Papers
YALSA is your source for national guidelines, competencies, position papers, and benchmarks to aid librarians, library workers and libraries in better understanding the components of an excellent teen services program.
Core Professional Values for the Teen Services Profession (also available in PDF) Adopted on June 27, 2015.
Reference Guidelines for Library Services to Teens, Ages 12-18 (PDF) , developed by RUSA and YALSA
YALSA's Young Adults Deserve the Best: Competencies for Librarians Serving Youth (also available in PDF)
- The Future of Library Services for and with Teens: a Call to Action
- Case Studies: Real-World Examples of How Libraries Are Re-Envisioning Teen Services
YALSA's position papers are authoritative guides that make recommendations on important issues in teen librarianship. Current, board-approved papers include:
- Adopting a Summer Learning Approach for Increased Impact: a YALSA Position Paper by Beth Yoke with contributions from Linda W. Braun. Approved by the YALSA Board of Directors, April 2016
- The Importance of a Whole Library Approach to Public Library Young Adult Services: A YALSA Position Paper by Linda W. Braun with contributions from Sarah Flowers and Mary Hastler, Approved by the YALSA Board of Directors, January 2011
- The Benefits of Including Dedicated Young Adult Librarians on Staff in the Public Library by YALSA with Audra Caplan, approved by the YALSA Board of Directors, January 2009
- The Importance of Young Adult Services in LIS Curricula, by Don Latham, approved by the YALSA Board of Directors, January 2009
- The Value of Young Adult Literature, by Michael Cart, approved by the YALSA Board of Directors, January 2008
- The Need for Teen Spaces in Public Libraries, by Kimberly Bolan, approved by the YALSA Board of Directors, January 2008, and updated in March 2016.
Library Bill of Rights & related documents (see the menu on the left side of that web page for links to the related documents)
Roots and Branches: YA Services Past, Present, and Future (speech by Mary K. Chelton, available as mp3 or PDF)
- For school library standards and guidelines, please visit AASL's Standard and Guidelines page.
- For an international perspective, please see IFLA's Guidelines for Library Services to Young Adults (PDF).
- Visit the ALA web site for additional standards and guidelines relating to libraries.
- The Competency Index for the Library Field from Web Junction may also be useful.