ALA Leadership Institute: Leading to the Future
The American Library Association (ALA) Leadership Institute is a unique 4-day immersive leadership development program for future library leaders. It will be led by past ALA President Maureen Sullivan and ACRL Content Strategist Kathryn Deiss, and will include a structured learning track and the opportunity for individual development. Building on the success of the 2013 inaugural Leadership Institute, the 2014 Institute took place at the Eaglewood Resort and Spa in Itasca, IL on August 10-14, 2014. Details about the 2015 Leadership Institute will be available in the coming months.
The curriculum will include:
- Leading in turbulent times
- Interpersonal competence
- Power and influence
- The art of convening groups
- Creating a culture of inclusion, innovation, and transformation
Inclusion in the institute is by online application only. Applicants may nominate themselves or be nominated by their employer. Each Leadership Institute will be limited to 35-40 participants. The application for the 2015 Leadership Institute will be available soon.
Participants in the program will…
- Return to their institution with greater self-awareness and self-confidence, equipped with better skills for leading, coaching, collaborating, and engaging within their organizations and in their communities.
- Return to their communities as better leaders, prepared to identify, develop, and implement solutions which will benefit all stakeholders.
- Have the opportunity to form a vibrant learning community and network, which is an essential element of effective leadership development
The Leadership Institute selection process is now complete. The selection committee reviewed applications to select a participant mix based on type of library (public, academic, school, special, etc.), organizational responsibility, geography, gender, and race/ethnicity. This was a selective process based on demonstrated leadership potential, professional achievement and community or campus involvement. Particular attention was given to applicants’ personal statements as well as those of their references. In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hold an MLS or equivalent degree
- Have at least 5 years of post-MLS library work experience
- Have a letter of support from his/her employer
- Be ready to assume a higher administrative or managerial role
- Be an ALA member at time of application
- Be able to attend the Institute in Itasca, IL
Selected participants are mid-career librarians ready to assume a higher administrative or managerial role, with some history of community or campus involvement.
Cost per participant is $1,200 including lodging, all meals, materials, and a free one-year membership to the Library Leadership & Management Association (LLAMA).
See the list of 2014 selected participants.
Support for the Institute is provided by Innovative Interfaces, Inc. Innovative is dedicated to providing leading technology solutions and services that empower libraries and enrich users worldwide.