ALA Leadership Institute: Leading to the Future
PARTICIPANTS IN THE 2016 LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE HAVE BEEN SELECTED.
See the list of the 2016 participants.
Nearly 100% of attendees rated the 2015 ALA Leadership Institute a “very positive” experience—the top rating possible! “This was the best professional development I have had related to leadership! The leaders were very knowledgeable and guided us in making our own decisions as they related to our personal situations.”
The American Library Association (ALA) Leadership Institute is a unique 4-day immersive leadership development program for future library leaders. The 2016 institute will be led again by past ALA President Maureen Sullivan and library and leadership consultant Kathryn Deiss.
The institute will include a structured learning track and the opportunity for individual development.
The 2016 ALA Leadership Institute will take place August 8-12 at the Eaglewood Resort, Itasca, Illinois.
"Wonderful atmosphere and congeniality among participants and between participants and facilitators. Great, nonthreatening learning environment."
Participants in the program will…
- Return to their institution with greater self-awareness and self-confidence, equipped with better skills for leading, coaching, collaborating, and engaging within their organizations and in their communities.
- Return to their communities as better leaders, prepared to identify, develop, and implement solutions which will benefit all stakeholders.
- Have the opportunity to form a vibrant learning community and network, which is an essential element of effective leadership development
The selection committee reviews applications to select a participant mix based on type of library (public, academic, school, special, etc.), organizational responsibility, geography, gender, and race/ethnicity. This selective process is based on demonstrated leadership potential, professional achievement and community or campus involvement. Particular attention will be given to applicants’ personal statements as well as those of their references. In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have at least 5 years of library work experience
- Have a letter of support from his/her employer
- Be ready to assume a higher administrative or managerial role
- Be an ALA member at time of application
- Be able to attend the Institute in Itasca, IL
Selected participants are mid-career librarians ready to assume a higher administrative or managerial role, with some history of community or campus involvement.
Cost per participant is $1,600 which includes training, materials, lodging, all meals, and a free one-year membership to the Library Leadership & Management Association (LLAMA).
Support for the Institute is provided by Innovative Interfaces, Inc. Innovative is dedicated to providing leading technology solutions and services that empower libraries and enrich users worldwide.