ALA Leadership Institute: Leading to the Future
100% of attendees rated the 2014 ALA Leadership Institute a “very positive” experience—the top rating possible! “This is the best Institute on the topic of leadership that I have ever attended!”
The American Library Association (ALA) Leadership Institute is a unique 4-day immersive leadership development program for future library leaders. The 2015 institute will be led again by past ALA President Maureen Sullivan and ACRL Content Strategist Kathryn Deiss.
The institute will include a structured learning track and the opportunity for individual development.
The 2015 ALA Leadership Institute will take place August 9-13 at the Eaglewood Resort, Itasca, Illinois. The 2015 application process is now open. Applications will be accepted through April 8, 2015. Applicants may nominate themselves or be nominated by their employer.
"I left with practical tools that I can use immediately. The participants were some of the best thinkers in the profession. I learned a great deal from their rich experiences."
Participants in the program will…
- Return to their institution with greater self-awareness and self-confidence, equipped with better skills for leading, coaching, collaborating, and engaging within their organizations and in their communities.
- Return to their communities as better leaders, prepared to identify, develop, and implement solutions which will benefit all stakeholders.
- Have the opportunity to form a vibrant learning community and network, which is an essential element of effective leadership development
The selection committee reviews applications to select a participant mix based on type of library (public, academic, school, special, etc.), organizational responsibility, geography, gender, and race/ethnicity. This selective process is based on demonstrated leadership potential, professional achievement and community or campus involvement. Particular attention will be given to applicants’ personal statements as well as those of their references. In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hold an MLS or equivalent degree
- Have at least 5 years of post-MLS library work experience
- Have a letter of support from his/her employer
- Be ready to assume a higher administrative or managerial role
- Be an ALA member at time of application
- Be able to attend the Institute in Itasca, IL
Selected participants are mid-career librarians ready to assume a higher administrative or managerial role, with some history of community or campus involvement.
Cost per participant is $1,200 including lodging, all meals, materials, and a free one-year membership to the Library Leadership & Management Association (LLAMA).
Support for the Institute is provided by Innovative Interfaces, Inc. Innovative is dedicated to providing leading technology solutions and services that empower libraries and enrich users worldwide.