ALA Leadership Institute: Leading to the Future
The American Library Association (ALA) Leadership Institute is a unique 4-day immersive leadership development program for future library leaders. It will be led by ALA President Maureen Sullivan and ACRL Content Strategist Kathryn Deiss, and will include a structured learning track and the opportunity for individual development. The inaugural Leadership Institute will take place at the Eaglewood Resort and Spa in Itasca, IL on August 12-15, 2013. (http://www.eaglewoodresort.com/)
See the list of 2013 selected participants—40 rather than 35, based on the strength of the applications.
The curriculum will include:
- Leading in turbulent times
- Interpersonal competence
- Power and influence
- The art of convening groups
- Creating a culture of inclusion, innovation, and transformation
Inclusion in the institute is by online application only. Applicants may nominate themselves or be nominated by their employer. Each Leadership Institute will be limited to 35 participants.
Participants in the program will…
- Return to their institution with greater self-awareness and self-confidence, equipped with better skills for leading, coaching, collaborating, and engaging within their organizations and in their communities.
- Return to their communities as better leaders, prepared to identify, develop, and implement solutions which will benefit all stakeholders.
- Have the opportunity to form a vibrant learning community and network, which is an essential element of effective leadership development
The Leadership Institute selection committee seeks a diverse participant mix based on type of library (public, academic, school, special, etc.), organizational responsibility, geography, gender, and race/ethnicity. This will be a selective process based on demonstrated leadership potential, professional achievement and community or campus involvement. Particular attention will be given to applicants’ personal statements as well as those of their references. In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hold an MLS or equivalent degree
- Have at least 5 years of post-MLS library work experience
- Have a letter of support from his/her employer
- Be ready to assume a higher administrative or managerial role
- Be an ALA member at time of application
- Be able to attend the Institute in Chicago
The Leadership Institute Application is now CLOSED. Applicants will be notified of selection results no later than June 14, 2013.
Thanks to a subsidy from ALA in this inaugural year, the total cost (including food, lodging, and materials but excluding travel) is $750 per participant.