Academic/Research Librarian of the Year Award
The ACRL Academic/Research Librarian of the Year Award recognizes an outstanding member of the library profession who has made a significant national or international contribution to academic or research librarianship and library development.
Plaque and $5,000 award. Sponsored by YBP Library Services.
This award recognizes and honors achievement in such areas as:
- Service to the organized profession through the Association of College and Research Libraries and related organizations
- Significant and influential research on academic or research library service
- Publication of a body of scholarly and/or theoretical writing contributing to academic or research library development
- Planning and implementing a library program of such exemplary quality that it has served as a model for others
Electronic submissions are required. Nominations should include documentation (a letter) that indicates:
- your name, address, e-mail and phone number, plus the name, address, e-mail and phone number (cell and office) of the person you are nominating.
- a letter from you supporting the nomination
- a current vita for the person being nominated, and
- as many letters as you wish from other librarians supporting the nomination.
All letters of support should be compiled by the nominator and sent along with the main nomination. Applications are kept in the award pool for three years. Applications may be updated each year, as long as they are received by the award deadline.
If possible, please submit a high resolution photo of the nominee (at least 300 dpi). The photo will be used to make the official winner announcement immediately after the ALA Midwinter Meeting.
Individuals may nominate themselves or others. E-mail the nominating package to Chase Ollis at firstname.lastname@example.org. If sending multiple files, each file name must include the nominee's name.
Submission Deadline: Friday, December 5, 2014
Information & Assistance
Questions or requests for assistance in compiling a nomination should be directed to the chair, Tyrone Heath Cannon, Library Dean, University of San Francisco, T: (415) 422-6167, E-mail: email@example.com or Chase Ollis, firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the full award committee roster here.
2014 - Tim Bucknall
2013 – Patricia Iannuzzi
2012 – Paula Kaufman
2011 – Janice Welburn
2010 – Maureen Sullivan
2009 – Gloriana St.Clair
2008 – Peter Hernon
2007 – Lizabeth (Betsy) A. Wilson
2006 – Ray English
2005 – Ravindra Nath (R.N.) Sharma
2004 – Tom Kirk
2003 – Ross Atkinson
2002 – Shelley E. Phipps
2001 – Larry Hardesty
2000 – Sharon Hogan
1999 – Hannelore B. Rader
1998 – Allen B. Veaner
1997 – James G. Neal
1996 – Ralph Russell
1995 – Joseph Boisse
1994 – Irene Braden Hoadley
1993 – William A. Moffett
1992 – Carla Stoffle
1991 – Richard DeGennaro
1990 – Patricia Battin
1989 – John P. McGowan
1988 – Edward G. Holley
1987 – Duane Webster
1986 – Margaret Beckman
1985 – Jessie Carney Smith
1984 – Richard D. Johnson
1983 – Richard Dougherty
1982 – William Budington
1981 – Beverly Lynch
1980 – Evan Farber
1979 – Henriette Avram & Frederick G. Kilgour
1978 – Keyes D. Metcalf and Robert B. Downs
Sponsorship provided by YBP Library Services