Is your library well positioned to leverage its services, programs, and resources at your institution? Are you thinking creatively and planning strategically to innovate and advance your library’s role on campus?
ACRL can help your library prepare for a dynamic, positive, and successful future through our consulting and facilitation services. Delivered by a knowledgeable, experienced team of consultants, ACRL Consulting Services works with you to design and assist with library reviews and planning activities, organizational change and development initiatives, staff retreats, and campus collaborations.
"Whether it’s strategic planning, creating collaborative staff environments, or developing strategies for implementing the ACRL Standards for Libraries in Higher Education, ACRL consultants bring a high level of expertise and a neutral point of view to facilitate change. " - ACRL Consulting Client
Services and Projects
ACRL consultants provide expert advice and facilitation. They work closely with academic institutions to:
- conduct external library reviews
- prepare library staff for accreditation
- review library internal self-study reports
- design and assist with strategic thinking and planning activities, including environmental scanning
- apply the ACRL Standards for Libraries in Higher Education to review, develop, and enhance services, programs, resources, and organizational practices
- use ACRLMetrics for strategic planning and benchmarking, including peer and aspirant comparisons
- develop director and other administrative staff search processes and approaches
- facilitate meetings and events, including:
- library staff retreats
- leadership team development
- strategy sessions on leading and managing change
- initiatives to enhance organization effectiveness
- focus groups and roundtable discussions with stakeholders
- partnership meetings with external campus groups
Visit our project overviews page or descriptions and examples of a few of the services ACRL consultants provide to help academic libraries grow and succeed.
Meet ACRL's Consultants
Karen, Kara, and our consulting team are here to collaborate with your library to develop custom plans and training for your unique institutional situations. Our consultants strive to help your library innovate for success.
"ACRL's consultants bring much to their role as consultants, derived from their own backgrounds in libraries of all sizes serving all manner of constituents, their ability to listen, see and encourage creative and strategic thinking, and a broad and international knowledge-base of library developments and trends." - ACRL Consulting Client
Read more about how to conduct an external library review in their recent chapter:
Malenfant, K. & Deiss, K. (2015). Successful external reviews: Process and practicalities. In Reviewing the Academic Library: A Guide to Self-Study and External Review. E. Mitchell & M. Seiden, (Eds.). Chicago, IL: Association of College and Research Libraries.
"The role ACRL plays as the primary professional association for academic and research libraries adds an additional level of legitimacy to our initiatives for university administrators and other campus stakeholders. We are updating the Library’s Strategic Plan in the fall and I will be contacting ACRL again to assist us with the process." - ACRL Consulting Client
To learn more about our consulting services and to book our team for your library, contact ACRL at email@example.com. Organizational members of ACRL receive a discounted rate on consulting fees.