In today's complex information environment, we have a greater responsibility to communicate the resources and expertise our libraries and librarians provide, both on our campuses and in society. Below are resources to help you develop a marketing campaign for your own library and examples of ACRL's efforts to promote academic and research libraries.
Advocacy Toolkit—The Power of Personal Persuasion (PDF)
Frontline librarians and library workers need the tools to develop their personal powers of persuasion to advance the agenda of the academic library. This publication provides basic content on persuasion, techniques for persuading others, applications of persuasion techniques for libraries and recommended processes and examples for persuading others within higher education environments.
Academic and Research Library Campaign
As part of @ your library, the Campaign for America's Libraries, ACRL and ALA have partnered to create a new, national marketing effort to heighten awareness and support of academic and research libraries. Included here is information about the campaign; a toolkit that includes creative strategies, practical ideas, case studies and profiles, customizable press materials, resource lists, and more; additional marketing resources; and downloadable graphics.
- Download the @ your library Toolkit for Academic and Research Libraries ( PDF or Word)
- Access manuals and slides from 3M Library Systems and ACRL:
- Strategic Marketing for Academic and Research Libraries Participant Manual (Word document; from 2003 training session)
- Strategic Marketing for Academic and Research Libraries Facilitation Guide (Word document)
- Strategic Marketing Facilitation Slides (PowerPoint presentation; from 2003 training session)
- Train-the Trainer Facilitation Slides (PowerPoint presentation; from 2003 Train-the Trainer workshop)
- Download @ your library artwork for academic and research libraries
Academic PR Discussion List
Join this discussion list, created to assist academic and research librarians in sharing ideas and best practices in marketing and public relations.
Library Marketing and Outreach Interest Group
A forum for discussion regarding effective digital and print methods to disseminate information about the value of their respective academic and research libraries in the United States and around the globe, and the services and events they offer.