This award recognizes an individual librarian who has built a record of contributions over time that have advanced the pursuit of teaching and learning in a college or research library environment. The award honors Miriam Dudley, whose pioneering efforts led to the formation of the ACRL Instruction Section (formerly ACRL Bibliographic Instruction Section).
A plaque and a $1000.00 cash award, sponsored by the Instruction Section, are presented during the Instruction Section program at the ALA Annual Conference.
Nominees should have achieved a substantial record of accomplishment in one or more of the following areas:
- Exhibits extraordinary, consistent leadership of an academic instruction program in a library environment that has broad demonstrable impact on other programs, professionals, or institutions
- Production of a body of research and publication that has a demonstrable impact on the concepts and methods of teaching and learning in the library profession
- Sustained an outstanding participation in organizations, at the regional or national level, devoted to the promotion and enhancement of teaching and learning in a library environment
- Consistent and effective mentorship and/or professional development of other library professionals in the pursuit and support of teaching and learning in the library environment
Electronic submissions are required. Nominations must be submitted with a completed nomination form, and a letter of support detailing the nominee’s qualifications for the award. Additional letters of support are encouraged, up to three will be considered.
Nominators: Please include your name, mailing address, email address, and phone number.
E-mail the nomination to IS Miriam Dudley Award Chair, Merinda Kaye Hensley, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, T: (217) 244-1880, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the full award committee roster here.
Note: Nominees will be judged on an individual basis. This award cannot be given to a pair or group of individuals.
- 2018 – Sharon Mader
- 2017 – Mary MacDonald
- 2016 – Wendy Holliday
- 2015 – Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
- 2014 – Esther Stampfer Grassian
- 2013 – Ellysa Stern Cahoy
- 2012 – Barbara J. Mann
- 2011 – No recipient
- 2010 – Beth S. Woodard
- 2009 – Trudi E. Jacobson
- 2008 – Craig Gibson
- 2007 – Debra L. Gilchrist
- 2006 – Mary Jane Petrowski
- 2005 – Ilene F. Rockman
- 2004 – William Miller
- 2003 – Loanne Snavely
- 2002 – Randy Hensley
- 2001 – Patricia Iannuzzi
- 2000 – Carol Collier Kuhlthau
- 1999 – Mary Reichel
- 1998 – Lori Arp
- 1997 – Patricia Senn Breivik
- 1996 – Barbara A. MacAdam
- 1995 – Lizabeth (Betsy) Wilson
- 1994 – Cerise Oberman
- 1993 – Hannelore Rader
- 1992 – Betsy Baker
- 1991 – Carla Stoffle
- 1990 – Joan Ormondroyd
- 1989 – Maureen Pastine
- 1988 – Sharon Hogan
- 1987 – Evan Ira Farber
- 1986 – Virginia Tiefel
- 1985 – Carolyn Kirkendall
- 1984 – Thomas Kirk