The ALA Executive Office and Office of ALA Governance provide support to and facilitate the work of the Association and all its members, and specifically offer direct service and assistance to the ALA President, President-Elect the ALA Executive Board, the ALA Council and the ALA Executive Director. The ALA Executive Director oversees the administration and management of the Association.
In addition, the Office of ALA Governance maintains files on the work of the ALA Immediate Past President and other ALA Past Presidents of the Association.
The staff of this office:
- Coordinate and run successful ALA Council and Executive Board meetings; serve as staff liaisons to these two governing bodies.
- Report actions taken by Membership, the Executive Board and Council; monitor follow-up and implementation of those actions.
- Coordinate and support the programs and initiatives of the ALA President and President-Elect, including the President's Program at the ALA Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference, grant-funded projects, special programs and pre-conferences.
- Coordinate the ALA Recognition Awards.
- Support the ALA President-Elect in making ALA and Council committee appointments.
- Serve as liaisons for the Constitution and Bylaws Committee, the Resolutions Committee, the Council Orientation Committee and the Policy Monitoring Committee, the Committee on Organization, the ALA Nominating Committee, and special committees and task forces created by the Executive Board and Council.
- Oversee and coordinate the ALA Honorary Membership Award.
- Conduct orientation programs for new Board Members and the incoming President-Elect.
ALA Executive Director
Mary W. Ghikas - firstname.lastname@example.org
(800) 545-2433, Ext. 1392
Responsible for the overall direction of the Association.
Director, Office of ALA Governance
JoAnne Kempf - email@example.com
(800) 545-2433, Ext. 3212
Areas of Responsibility: Management of Board, Council and Executive/Governance Office activities and support to the Executive Director, ALA President and President-Elect.
Executive Board Secretariat
(800) 545-2433, Ext. 3203
Areas of Responsibility: Board meetings, agendas, documents, follow-up, logistics, reimbursements, and ALA and Council committee appointments.
Lois Ann Gregory-Wood - firstname.lastname@example.org
(800) 545-2433, Ext. 3204
Areas of Responsibility: Council meetings, agendas, documents, follow-up, logistics, research.
Cheryl Malden - email@example.com
(800) 545-2433, Ext. 3247
Areas of Responsibility: ALA Awards Program, Board, Council and Officer meal functions and invitations.