The mission of the American Library Association is to provide leadership for the development, promotion, and imporvement of library and information servies and the profession of librarianship in order to enhance learning and ensure access to information for all.
The American Library Association is governed by a policy-making Council elected directly by members; an executive board made up of four officers elected by members, plus eight members elected by Council, that is responsible for the oversight management of ALA; and an executive director, Keith Michael Fiels, who administers ALA day-to-day operations and its 250+-member staff.
The ALA Executive Office and Office of ALA Governance provide support to and facilitate the work of the Association and all its members, and specifically offer direct service and assistance to the ALA President, President-Elect the ALA Executive Board, the ALA Council and the ALA Executive Director. The ALA Executive Director oversees the administration and management of the Association.
In addition, the Office of ALA Governance maintains files on the work of the ALA Immediate Past President and other ALA Past Presidents of the Association.
The staff of this office:
- Coordinate and run successful ALA Council and Executive Board meetings; serve as staff liaisons to these two governing bodies.
- Report actions taken by Membership, the Executive Board and Council; monitor follow-up and implementation of those actions.
- Coordinate and support the programs and initiatives of the ALA President and President-Elect, including the President's Program at the ALA Midwinter Meeting and Annual Conference, grant-funded projects, special programs and pre-conferences.
- Coordinate the ALA Recognition Awards.
- Support the ALA President-Elect in making ALA and Council committee appointments.
- Serve as liaisons for the Constitution and Bylaws Committee, the Resolutions Committee, the Council Orientation and Policy Monitoring Committees, the Committee on Organization, the ALA Nominating Committee, and special committees and task forces created by the Executive Board and Council.
- Oversee and coordinate the ALA Honorary Membership Award.
- Conduct orientation programs for new Board Members and the incoming President-Elect.
Governance Office Staff
Meet our staff