Excellence in Academic Libraries Award
Sponsored by YBP Library Services
To recognize academic librarians and staff who work together as a team to develop academic libraries that are outstanding in furthering the educational missions of their institutions.
The program, sponsored by YBP Library Services, will support three annual awards of $3,000 each by type of academic library (community, college, and university). Awards will be made by an ACRL representative at a presentation at each institution receiving the award. Further recognition of award recipients will be made at the ACRL President's Program at the annual ALA conference.
YBP Library Service's sponsorship will cover the outright awards and provide $3,000 for travel to presentation ceremonies.
Applications are kept in the award pool for two years, and an updated application is required to remain in the pool for a third year. Applications may be updated each year, as long as they are received by the award deadline.
- Demonstrate how academic librarians and staff work together as a team to develop an academic library that is outstanding in furthering the educational mission of its parent institution.
- The criteria for recognizing excellence will emphasize "outcomes" rather than "inputs" as the best measures of quality. "Outcomes" are defined by the ACRL Task Force on Academic Library Outcomes and reflected in the philosophy of Standards for Libraries in Higher Education. Potential nominees are referred to these documents. An academic library may demonstrate excellence as a team of librarians and staff in furthering the educational mission of its institution through one or more of the following, or in other ways that reflect the purpose and philosophy of this award:
- Creativity and innovation in meeting the needs of their academic community.
- Leadership in developing and implementing exemplary programs that other libraries can emulate.
- Substantial and productive relationships with classroom faculty and students.
- Agree to take responsibility for organizing and funding a recognition ceremony on campus to receive the award.
The applicant must agree to take responsibility for organizing and funding a recognition ceremony on campus to receive the award.
Electronic submissions are required. Applicants must submit an application form and supporting documents via email to Chase Ollis, firstname.lastname@example.org. The application form must be completed in its entirety and applications must be received by December 5, 2014, to receive full consideration. Applications will be confirmed via email.
If possible, please submit a high resolution photo of the nominee (at least 300 dpi). The photo will be used to make the official winner announcement immediately after the ALA Midwinter Meeting.
Interested parties should feel free to contact the chair and/or the members of the award committee for additional information.
Dr. Steven J. Bell
Associate University Librarian for Research & Instructional Services
Paley Library 017-00
1210 Polett Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19122-6088
Work Phone: (215) 204-5023
View the full award committee roster here.