Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services
American Library Association
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, Illinois 60611
1-800-545-2433 ext. 5048
The Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services drives activities around three professional issues which collectively support equity and inclusion as fundamental values of the association. Relationships and major initiatives undertaken by the Office across these three issues help ensure the inclusion of diverse perspectives within our profession and association to best position ALA as a trusted, leading advocate for equitable access to library services for all.
Initiatives & Projects
We currently administer the following major initiatives in support of our mission:
Member Groups & Meeting Schedules
- ODLOS Advisory Committee and subcommittees
- Committee on Diversity (COD)
- Diversity Council, a COD subcommittee
- Diversity Research Grant Advisory Committee, a COD subcommittee, oversees the Diversity Research Grant Jury (about the Diversity Research Grants).
- Spectrum Advisory Committee, a COD subcommittee, oversees the Spectrum Scholar Interest Group and the Spectrum Jury (about the Spectrum Scholarship Program).
- Committee on Literacy and subcommittees
- Committee on Rural, Native, and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds
- Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT)
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT)
- Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT)
- Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT)
- American Indian Library Association (AILA)
- Asian Pacific American Librarians Association (APALA)
- Black Caucus of the American Library Association (BCALA)
- Chinese American Librarians Association (CALA)
- The National Association to Promote Library & Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking (REFORMA)
- Association of Bookmobile and Outreach Services (ABOS)
- Association for Rural & Small Libraries (ARSL)
Our outreach areas include:
- Adult New and Non-Readers
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender People
- Incarcerated People and Ex-Offenders
- Older Adults
- People of Color
- People with Disabilities
- Poor and Homeless People
- Rural, Native, and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds
- Bookmobile Communities
Visit our Outreach Columns blog for stories from our members!
Our major resource development areas are:
- Strategic Planning for Diversity
- Recruitment for Diversity
- Employment Discrimination Resources
- Civility & Diversity
- Bias in the Workplace
- Diversity Statistics
- Continuing Education through ALA's Online Learning Offerings
Our Outreach toolkits include:
- The American Dream Starts @ your library
- Extending Our Reach: Reducing Homelessness Through Library Engagement
- Handbook for Mobile Services Staff
- How to Serve the World @ your library
- Keys to Engaging Older Adults @ your library
- Literacy for All: Adult Literacy @ your library
- The Small but Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library
- Guide to Building Support for your Tribal Library
- TRAILS - Tribal Library Procedure Manual 3rd Edition 2008
800-545-2433 ext. 5295
Responsible for oversight and administration of the Office's activities and budget; serves as primary staff liaison for ALA Committees, the Affiliated Ethnic Caucuses and related groups; and guides the Office in its efforts to provide active consultation, facilitation and training on diversity, literacy and outreach services.
800-545-2433, ext. 5048
Supports the creation of new projects advancing the recruitment and retention of a diverse library workforce. Manages the Spectrum Scholarship program and related grants; manages Spectrum communications, marketing, and data reporting.Serves as Staff Liaison for the Committee on Diversity.
Manages adult literacy projects and partnerships; coordinates the development of literacy resources for libraries, facilitates literacy-related discussions across library types; and represents ALA on the National Coalition for Literacy. Serves as Staff Liaison for the Committee on Literacy.
Program Officer, Outreach and Communications
800-545-2433, ext. 2140
Collaborates with member leaders in the development of outreach programming and resources in support of local library staff and stakeholders’ efforts to address information needs of traditionally underserved populations; administers communication efforts including press release preparation, Web pages, ALA Connect communities, blogs, and social networking tools; develops resources and promotional materials; serves as staff liaison for EMIERT, GLBRT, SRRT, and SustainRT; and assists in planning of special events.