Office for Diversity
The Office for Diversity serves as a clearinghouse for diversity resources and a focal point for administering and fostering diversity as a value and key action area of the Association. The Office serves the membership through its initiatives and programs, resource development, active consultations and training on diversity issues that impact the profession, the workplace, and information service delivery. Topics include such issues as recruitment and retention; personal and professional leadership; organizational change; team and capacity building; service strategies for diverse user populations; and effective interpersonal communications.
Initiatives & Projects
We currently administer the following major initiatives in support of our mission:
Member Groups & Meeting Schedules
The Council Committee on Diversity(COD) provides a forum to research, monitor, discuss, and address national diversity issues and trends impacting the library profession. Additionally, the Committee on Diversity provides ALA Council and ALA membership with information needed for the establishment of ALA policies, actions and initiatives related to national diversity issues and trends. Visit individual Committee and Subcommittee pages for more information and meeting schedules.
- Committee on Diversity (COD)
- Diversity Council, a COD subcommittee
- Diversity Research Grant Advisory Committee, a COD subcommittee, oversees the Diversity Research Grant Jury (about the Diversity Research Grants).
- Spectrum Advisory Committee, a COD subcommittee, oversees the Spectrum Scholar Interest Group and the Spectrum Jury (about the Spectrum Scholarship Program).
The Office for Diversity also serves as the liaison to the five ALA-Affiliated Associations of Ethnic Librarians.
Many Voices - annual event since 2005
National Dialogue on the Curriculum of Readiness - held in 2005
- Please visit the Conference Scheduler in ALA Connect to retrieve materials from past ALA Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings.
- View ALA's Online Learning Offerings related to Diversity.
- Help us support the next Joint Conference of Librarians of Color
The Office for Diversity is pleased to provide an ever-growing collection of resources to assist you in building diversity. If you have materials and resources to share, please email your suggestions to email@example.com. Our major resource development areas are:
Assistant Director Spectrum and Related Grants
Manages the Spectrum Scholarship program and related grants; supports the creation of new projects advancing the recruitment of a diverse library workforce; manages Spectrum communications, marketing, and data reporting.