The ALA Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services (ODLOS) administers and partners on programs and initiatives that support our mission.
- Extending Our Reach: Reducing Homelessness Through Library Engagement
- Handbook for Mobile Services Staff
- How to Serve the World @ your library
- Keys to Engaging Older Adults
- Literacy for All: Adult Literacy @ your library
- The Small but Powerful Guide to Winning Big Support for Your Rural Library
- Guide to Building Support for your Tribal Library
- TRAILS - Tribal Library Procedure Manual 3rd Edition 2008
Outreach Issue Briefs
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender People
- Incarcerated People and Ex-Offenders
- Older Adults
- People of Color
- People with Disabilities
- People Experiencing Poverty and Homelessness
- Rural, Native, and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds
- Bookmobile Communities
These inclusive booklists were created by various American Library Association groups and ethnic affiliates. The booklists highlight diverse voices including racial diversity and sexuality and can be used in the classroom and when ordering collections. There are many booklists in the world that are categorized by topic, but these booklists ensure that underrepresented voices are being heard as well.
Our blog, Intersections, highlights the work of library and information science workers as they create safe, responsible, and all-inclusive spaces that serve and represent the entire community, as well as initiatives and projects supported by the office that promotes their work. Members are encouraged to submit blog posts related to EDI by email email@example.com.
On the third Thursday of each month, the Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services sends out a monthly e-Newsletter, called EDI Update, to our member groups, including the ODLOS Advisory Committee, the Committee on Diversity, the Committee on Literacy, the Rural, Native, and Tribal Libraries of All Kinds Committee (RNTLOAK), as well as to the executive officers of the Ethnic Affiliates of ALA, the Association of Bookmobile and Outreach Services, and the Association for Rural & Small Libraries. We also distribute the newsletter to the four ALA Round Tables that ODLOS liaises with, including the Ethnic and Multicultural Information Exchange Round Table (EMIERT), the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT), the Social Responsibilities Round Table (SRRT), and the Sustainability Round Table (SustainRT).
How is your library responding to the Dakota Access Pipeline protests, the 2016 election aftermath, or other current events? Tweet and post on social media using the #librariesrespond hashtag. See how others libraries have responded on the Libraries Respond page.
Please feel free to contact our office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.