This award honors an individual member of the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) who has made significant contributions to, and an impact on, library service to children and/or ALSC. The recipient receives $2,000 and an engraved pin at the ALSC Membership Meeting during ALA Annual Conference.
- Watch 2020 Distinguished Service Award winner, Dr. Claudette McLinn, giver her acceptance speech at the 2020 virtual ALSC Membership Meeting (video, 8 min, 22 sec).
- Watch 2019 ALSC Distinguished Service Award winner Maria B. Salvadore give her acceptance speech at the 2019 Annual Conference (video, 10 min, 27 sec).
- Watch 2017 ALSC Distinguished Service Award winner Ellen Fader give her acceptance speech at the 2017 Annual Conference (video, 9 min, 43 sec).
- Watch 2016 ALSC Distinguished Service Award Winner Pat Scales give her acceptance speech from the 2016 Annual Conference (video 11 min, 43 sec).
The nominee should be an individual who has made significant contributions to, and an impact on, library services to children and to the Association for Library Service to Children.
The nominee and the individual making the nomination must be personal members of ALSC as well as ALA; organizational members are not eligible
Individuals nominated my be chosen from any facet of library services to children
The nominee may be a practicing librarian in a public or school library, a library or information science educator, a member of the library press, or an editor or other employee of a publishing house
The individual may be retired
How to nominate
The ALSC Distinguished Service Award committee will begin accepting online nominations for the 2021 Distinguished Service Award in spring 2020! Nominations and supporting materials will be due by December 1, 2020.
- Please do not fill out and submit the nomination form until you have all the necessary materials to complete your submission.
- If you would like to review the form before submitting electronically, you can use the DSA paper nomination form.
- If you have any questions, please email Bina Williams (email@example.com), Distinguished Service Award Chair.
2021 Distinguished Service Award Nomination form <---Click Link to access the form
Announcement of the Winner
The 2021 DSA recipient will be announced during the Leadership and ALSC meeting at the 2021 ALA Midwinter.
The 2020 Distinguished Service Award winner is Dr. Claudette McLinn! Please visit our current distinguished service award winner page to view a press release featuring Claudette's' accomplishments!