ALSC Keeps Children's Services Strong
Access resources that strengthen libraries
- Receive an automatic subscription to Children and Libraries: The Journal of the Association for Library Service to Children, a quarterly publication, delivered in print and digitally, that provides continuing education and showcases scholarly research and practice in library service to children ($50 value)
- Apply for up to $100k annually in awards, scholarships and grants available only to ALSC members
- Receive up to a 20% discount on professional products including ALSC books on awards, best practices and innovative programming ideas
- Apply for travel scholarships for special events such as the National Institute and ALSC preconferences
- Access ALSC’s Everyday Advocacy website, designed to nurture and support all advocates of library service to children and librarians serving youth
ALSC provides professional development opportunities that transform careers
- Receive up to a 20% discount on quarterly online courses that develop new skills and areas of expertise for librarians and children’s literature enthusiasts
- Members receive access to an exclusive archive of free webinars and a 50% discount on any paid webinars through ALSC
- Take advantage of special rates on pre-conferences, conferences, and ALSC National Institute's
Network with individuals all across the country (and beyond!) to create solutions and generate ideas
- Collaborate with approximately 50k ALA members via ALA Connect, ALA’s online member network
- Access ALSC Community Forums, which bring members together to discuss important issues in children’s library service (ALA login required)
- Join members across the country in building Competency development via the ALSC Mentoring Program
- Be eligible to vote and stand for candidacy in all ALSC elections, including award committee elections
To become members of ALSC, you need to also enroll into an ALA membership. An ALA membership instantly connects you to a network of over 50,000 dedicated library professionals across the world! Personal members may choose to pay in two equal installments when joining or renewing with a credit or debit card.
The individual and total dues listed below are valid through August 31, 2024.
1. Personal Membership
|Category||ALSC Dues||ALA Dues||Total||Description|
|Regular||$53||$81*||$134||Includes librarians as well as others employed in library and information services or related activities in positions that: (a) require a master's degree; (b) require a state level certification; or (c) are managerial.|
|Student||$21||$43||$64||Includes individuals enrolled in a program for a certificate or a degree in library and information studies. Student membership is limited to five total years.|
|Non-salaried||$37||$58||$95||Includes librarians earning less than $30,000 per year or not currently employed. Also includes library paraprofessionals and support staff.|
|Retiree||$37||$58||$95||Includes those who have retired from library and information services or related activities.|
|Associate||$26||$73||$99||Includes those not employed in library and information services or related activities who, through their personal commitment and support, promote library and information services (e.g., friends and special citizen caucuses and/or individuals interested in participating in the work of the Association)|
*ALA membership is $81 for the first year; $123 for the second year; $162 for the third and later years.
#Price shown for ALA is at the Associate level.
2. Organizational Membership
|ALSC Dues||ALA Dues||Total|
|$58||ALA membership^||$58 + ALA membership^|
^ALA organizational membership depends on size. For more information, please see ALA Organizational Membership
3. Corporate Membership
|ALSC Dues||ALA Dues||Total|
|$58||ALA membership%||$58 + ALA membership%|
ALA corporate membership is offered at two different levels. For more information, please see ALA Corporate Membership
There are three easy ways to join or renew your membership. And don't forget about ALA's installment payment options!
Go online and start filling out the form online. Once finished you can submit it and pay dues online.
2. By Phone
1-800-545-2433, Option 1
1-312-280-4299, Option 1
8:30am - 4:30pm (Monday-Friday)
To download a print-ready copy of the applicable ALA membership year applications, please visit ALA's Membership Application Center. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to view any application.
American Library Association
225 N. Michigan Avenue, Suite 1300
Chicago, IL 60601