The inaugural Excellence in Early Learning Digital Media Award will be given in 2019 to a digital media producer that has created distinguished digital media for an early learning audience.
How to submit media for consideration for the Excellence in Early Learning Digital Media Award
- The committee is only considering media released between January 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018. Review the terms and criteria (see below)
- Please download and complete the Information Verification Submission Form for each entry. [DOC, PDF]
- Mail one copy of the media and a completed form to the ALSC office (ATTN: EELDM, 50 East Huron, Chicago, IL 60611-2795).
- Mail one copy of the media and a completed form to the committee chair. Address information can be found on the Information Verification Form. ALSC membership is not a requirement to submit your work and there is no entry fee for the Excellence in Early Learning Digital Media Award.
Terms and Criteria
· This purpose of this award shall be to recognize the producer of the most distinguished digital media created for an early learning audience.
· “Digital Media” shall be defined as “Any real-time, dynamic, and interactive media content or product that is available via electronic device across multiple platforms.”
· Early learning audience shall be defined as “children ages 2-8 along with their caregivers, professionals, and media mentors serving them (such as librarians and other educators).”
· Most outstanding shall be defined as “digital media that enables and encourages active engagement and social interaction while informing, educating, and/or entertaining in a developmentally appropriate manner.”
· Popular examples of digital media include content on websites, DVDs, streaming services, software programs, enhanced ebooks, and apps. Due to the rapidly evolving nature of technology, new elements and platforms may be suggested for consideration on a continuous basis.
· Media or content shall be evaluated based on the following criteria:
o Effective utilization of selected platform(s)
o Created or underwent a significant content change or update within the award year
o Meets high aesthetic and technical standards
o The skills required to navigate the media should be appropriate and suitably challenging for the intended audience
o Facilitates active and creative use by children ages 2-8 in exemplary ways
o Respects the early learning audience’s intelligence and imagination by offering a rich and diverse experience
o Allows for meaningful joint media engagement, co-viewing, shared play experiences and/or guided play
o Media reflects/embodies its stated mission and purpose
The ALSC office requests one copy be sent to the ALSC office and one copy to the committee chair. Standards are in place for the committee members to review and share submissions. If you are submitting for multiple awards, only one copy needs to be sent to the ALSC office.
Neither the ALSC office nor the committee chair can confirm receipt of submissions. If you would like to confirm delivery receipt of your submission please use a tracking number for your package. Submissions that are dropped off in- person to the ALSC office will not be accepted.
The ALSC office cannot answer eligibility questions or advise on which award or committee your submission is eligible for. It is up to you to review the terms and criteria and if you feel you qualify, submit as appropriate. Eligibility is determined by the committee and is confidential.
The book and media awards are announced each year at ALA’s Midwinter Meeting in January. The materials received by the ALSC office throughout the year will be used for ALSC’s Bookapalooza Program. The Bookapalooza Program selects three libraries to receive a Bookapalooza collection of these materials to be used in a way that creatively enhances their library service to children and families.
Deadline for submitting works is December 31, 2018.
The final list will be announced immediately following the American Library Association's Midwinter Meeting, usually held in late January.
Are you an ALSC Member?
Submit a suggestion to the committee [CLICK HERE]! Suggestions are due November 15, 2018.
2019 EELDM Committee
Mary Kuehner, Chair