Your participation in ALSC brings meaningful change to the profession and to your career. From serving on an award committee to writing an article for ALSC, there are many ways to get involved and participate, both online and onsite! We're always open to new ideas, so please send them our way!
There's a place for you with ALSC! Regardless of your expertise or background, you can find a way to participate. Here are some ideas to get you started!
You can also check out our free on-demand webinar: Get Involved with ALSC: Navigating Opportunities within the Organization.
ALSC 101 is an opportunity for non-members or newer members to learn about our association. The Membership Committee recently hosted Virtual ALSC 101 on August 3, 2020. It included small meet-and-greet sessions, Quick ALSC Trivia, and a panel of ALSC members at different stages of their ALSC membership journey! There was also an opportunity to hear from ALSC Blog Manager, Mary Voors on how to engage with our blog. You can also find a link to a short pre-recorded Q&A with Children & Libraries (CAL) Journal Editor, Sharon Verbeten, on our CAL page.
ALSC Virtual Membership Meeting
This meeting was held on Monday, June 8, 2020.
Want ALSC information sent directly to your inbox? ALSC Update reaches thousands of librarians, educators, and library school students with timely content that links directly to ALSC events, programs, and services. All emails are optimized for mobile viewing. Everyone interested in receiving this regular communication should sign-up for these emails through our online form.
ALSC Matters! Newsletter
ALSC Matters! is a quarterly newsletter for ALSC members. It highlights division activities and information of interest to librarians working with children. ALSC members automatically receive an email alert when each new issue becomes available online. Non-members may sign-up for these notifications through an online form.
- Submit a Committee Volunteer Form! Learn more about committee volunteer process and opportunities.
- Not sure which committee might be a right fit? Take this fun quiz developed by ALSC's Membership Committee to find out! (But, you are always welcome to go out of your comfort zone and try something different and learn something new.)
- Write for the ALSC Blog or Children & Libraries
- Become a mentor or mentee in the ALSC Mentoring Program
- Represent ALSC in the ALSC Roadshow
Hear from Tanya Prax from the ALSC Membership Committee on why she volunteers!
Professional Development & Education
- Participate in continuing education and online learning
- Review our Professional Tools page. This page has a wide variety of tools and resources that can help you in your work.
- Take part in Take Action Tuesday
- Register a Día program
- Participate in virtual National Library Legislative Day
Networking & Connections
- Join in the conversation on ALSC-L
- Attend and participate in a future Community Forum
- Join an ALSC Committee for a future We Are ALSC Chat (WAAC)
- Contribute to or initiate discussions on ALA Connect, our official collaboration space!
- Apply for a scholarship, grant, or award
- Volunteer to be the ALSC Blog Member of the Month
- Submit a proposal to present at a conference
- Send in your personal, career news and program ideas to ALSC Matters!
- Create a program video and submit it to the ALSC YouTube page
ALSC on ALA Connect
ALA Connect is the official online network for the American Library Association (ALA) and the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC). All ALA members have access to ALA Connect. Members are encouraged to use ALA Connect for committee work, collaboration, brainstorming, networking, and creating meaningful career connections. Learn more and be sure to log in and update your profile to start connecting!