Invest in your career or show your support for library services to teens and join YALSA! YALSA is a division of the American Library Association, and YALSA's goal is to make libraries all awesome for teens! To aid professionals in this goal, YALSA provides a wealth of exclusive resources to its members.
YALSA members enjoy all benefits that ALA members receive (see a complete list of ALA benefits) as well as additional benefits just for them, including exclusive benefits that helps members
- build skills and knowledge to give you a competitive edge over colleagues via free, exclusive access to YELL (YALSA E-Learning Library), discounts on products and books, discounted registration for online courses, live webinars, conferences, and more
- add more value to your library and become indispensable at work via eligibility for more than $125,000 in YALSA's grants, scholarships, stipends, and contests for members each year
- stay up to date on the latest trends and resources via free subscriptions to publications like YALSA's award-winning quarterly journal, YALS, and YALSA E-News, the monthly e-newsletter
- meet new professional contacts that can lead to career opportunities via members you meet and interact with on virtual and face-to-face committees, Interest Groups and more
- make your daily work easier via access to support to help you deal successfully with book challenges, cutbacks and more
- get recognition for your achievements via members' only awards
- gain leadership skills to take you to the next level via our mentoring program, Board Fellowship, and more
- make a difference for libraries and teens via service projects and fundraisers (.pdf)
See a full list of YALSA's members' only benefits and check out this free 33 minute video about making the most of your membership, presented by Shannon Peterson, 2013-2014 YALSA President. The slides are also available for viewing online.
Dues and Rates
You can join ALA/YALSA using a secure, electronic form. Membership dues and rates are:
- Regular members (salaried librarians and library workers)
- $125 for first year ($65 for ALA/$60 for YALSA)
- $158 for second year ($98 for ALA/$60 for YALSA)
- $190 for third and later years ($130 for ALA/$60 for YALSA)
- Students, $58 ($33 for ALA/$25 for YALSA)
- Nonsalaried workers, $71 (unemployed, nonsalaried, or library support staff; $46 for ALA/$25 for YALSA)
- Retirees, $71($46 for ALA/$25 for YALSA)
- International members, $158 ($78 for ALA/$60 for YALSA)
- Advocates, $84 ($59 for ALA/$25 for YALSA; appropriate for individuals who do not work in the library field but are interested in participating in the work of YALSA, such as authors, booksellers, parents, teachers, etc.)
- Trustees, $84 ($59 for ALA/$25 for YALSA; appropriate for non-librarian members of governing boards, advisory groups, Friends organizations, and special citizen caucuses)
- Organizational membership varies depending on institution size ($175-$2,000 for ALA/$70 for YALSA)
- Corporate membership begins at $570. See other corporate opportunities with YALSA.
Learn more about ALA membership and how to get involved in YALSA. Do you have questions about YALSA membership? Contact Letitia Smith, YALSA's Membership Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-545-2433, ext. 4390. She's happy to help!
Who are our Members?
YALSA members are an amazing and wonderfully diverse group of dedicated individuals who work with or for teens, including:
- library support staff, librarian generalists, teen services specialists, youth services librarians, reference librarians, managers, trustees, and administrators at public libraries
- school librarians, school library support staff, reading specialists, educators and administrators in middle and high schools
- graduate students in library science or young adult literature programs
- faculty at graduate schools of library and information science
- librarians who work with teens in special libraries, including hospitals and correctional facilities
- afterschool providers who work with teens
- supporters of youth literacy, bookstores, corporations and authors
- supporters of libraries, including parents, teens, Friends of the Library groups and community members
Check out our YALSA Member Google Map to see who's near you!