Get Involved and Participate in YALSA
YALSA offers a variety of ways to participate at a variety of commitment levels. Find out how to get involved:
- From August 2012 through June 2013 YALSA's 2012 - 2013 President will host monthly Tweet-ups with members the 1st Tues. of each month from 1pm to 2pm, eastern, about various topics of interest, as chosen by members via a member survey. Topics and the hashtags to be used for the events will be posted in YALSA's Google calendar.
- Join one of YALSA's Interest or Discussion Groups. Learn more about our discussion groups through this webinar-on-demand.
- Register for YALSA’s major yearly initiatives: Teen Read Week and Teen Tech Week. Use each website to find program and event ideas, resources for planning, publicity tools, and more.
- Join our monthly conversation, YA Forum, in ALA Connect during the first week of each month.
- Volunteer for a YALSA committee, jury, or task force! YALSA appoints volunteers to its virtual process groups (e.g., Teen Read Week, Great Books Giveaway Jury) in the spring and its selection committees (e.g., Best Fiction for Young Adults, Morris Award) in the fall. Interested? See a list of committees and be sure to fill out the Committee Volunteer Form. Interested in chairing a committee, jury, or task force? Watch the Virtual Chair Training Webinar.
- Interested in being on a YALSA Selection Committee that develops lists of recommended reading or chooses book and media awards? Watch the Selection Committee Webinar or read a transcript from YALSA's monthly e-chats about serving on a selection committee (PDF). Also, read this article How to Succeed on a YA Book Committee (PDF).
- Each year, YALSA offers more than $125,000 in awards, contests, grants, stipends, and scholarships to its members.
- Run for YALSA office! YALSA annually holds an election. YALSA members elect a division President-Elect, Board members, certain award committee members and, depending on the year, a Division Councilor, Fiscal Officer and Secretary. Find out the benefits of board membership. Read this article (PDF) on running for ALA Council by Steve Matthews.
- Encourage your teens to vote for their favorite books in the Teens’ Top Ten.
- Help determine YALSA’s direction! Vote in the annual ALA/YALSA Election, held each spring.
- Share your great ideas on a variety of topics on the YALSA Wiki.