The ALCTS/LITA Metadata Standards Committee will play a leadership role in developing and maintaining guidelines and principles for evaluating, adopting, and applying metadata standards. The work of the MSC is focused on the intersection between standards for resource description, access, and management, their implementation in encoding schemas and information systems, and formats for metadata serialization and exchange. To assist the ALA community in making informed and user-focused decisions relating to metadata, the Committee will review and evaluate metadata standards relevant to cultural heritage institutions, engage in outreach and education on metadata issues, and maintain liaison relationships with concerned units within ALA and with relevant outside agencies.
Displaying active committee roster as of 02/23/2019. Last retrieved on 02/23/2019. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Consists of 9 voting members. Four members are appointed by ALCTS, and four members are appointed by LITA. RUSA appoints one voting liaison. Two co-chairs are appointed by ALCTS and LITA, one from each division.
About this Committee
- Evaluates metadata standards according to defined evaluation principles
- Connects with other groups interested in metadata standards
- Engages in outreach to the Librarils and museums community on metadata issues
Expected Time Commitment
- Holds 7-9 virtual meetings and 2 face-to-face meetings each year
- Group members work an average of 2 hours per month
- January, June, July, and December are the busiest months
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Technical knowledge around metadata standards and emerging trends in the metadata experiences of libraries and museums
- People who are enthusiastic about diving into metadata and communicating about it are very welcome