Advocacy & Issues
LITA advocates for and participates in the adoption of legislation, policies, technologies and standards that promote equitable access to information and technology.
Library Privacy Checklists
This set of seven checklists is intended to help libraries of all capacities take practical steps to implement the principles that are laid out in the ALA Library Privacy Guidelines. Each checklist is organized into three priority groups. Priority 1 are actions that hopefully all libraries can take to improve privacy practices. Priority 2 and Priority 3 actions may be more difficult for libraries to implement depending on their technical expertise, available resources, and organizational structure.
These checklists were created by a group of volunteers from the LITA Patron Privacy Interest Group and the ALA Intellectual Freedom Committee's Privacy Subcommittee.
- Data Exchange Between Networked Devices and Services
- E-book Lending and Digital Content Vendors
- Library Management Systems / Integrated Library Systems
- Library Websites, OPACs, and Discovery Services
- Public Access Computers and Networks
- Students in K-12 Schools
ALA Training and Tools
- Get an Edge on Advocacy @ your library with LibraryEdge.org
Library Edge is a new initiative to provide library leaders and technologists with training and tools they need to advocate for improving library technology and digital readiness.
- Turning the Page Online (PLA)
Free self-paced course to develop advocacy skills.
- ALA Advocacy, Legislation & Issues
- Intellectual Freedom Round Table (IFRT)
- Intellectual Freedom Committee (IFC)
- Freedom to Read Foundation (FTRF)
- United for Libraries
Reports and Resources
- District Dispatch (ALA Washington Office)
See especially posts on Cybersecurity, Digital Divide, Digital Literacy, e-books, E-Rate, Network Neutrality, and OITP.
- ALA Task Force on Privacy and Confidentiality in the Electronic Environment - Report
The task force examined the impact of new technologies on patron privacy and the confidentiality of electronic records.
- Statement on Diversity