Intellectual Freedom Committee (IFC)
Displaying active committee roster as of 09/17/2014. Last retrieved on 09/17/2014. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- IFC's Report to ALA Council from the ALA Annual Conference in Las Vegas, 2014.
- List of all Draft Revisions of Library Bill of Rights Interpretations-
- The Universal Right to Free Expression
- Restricted Access to Library Materials
- Prisoners' Right to Read
- Minors and Internet Activity
- Labeling and Rating Systems
- Importance of Education to Intellectual Freedom
- Free Access to Libraries for Minors
The Intellectual Freedom Committee (IFC) consists of a 11 members who are appointed by the Council Committee on Committees, in cooperation with the ALA president-elect. Members serve 2-year terms and are led by the chair.
Subcommittees & Task Forces
IFC Privacy subcommittee monitors ongoing privacy developments in technology (in cooperation with LITA), politics and legislation (in cooperation with COL), and social trends; to identify needs and resources for librarians and library users; to propose action to IFC on resolutions, policies, and guidelines as well as on educational, informational, promotional and other projects; and to collaborate with other organizations (e.g., LITA and COL).
The Intellectual Freedom Committee conducts six meetings during ALA Annual Conference. Midwinter schedule: TBD. Annual Conference schedule: Session I: Friday, 8:00 to 10:00 AM; Session II: Friday, 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM; Session III: Saturday, 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM; Session IV: Saturday, 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM; Session V: Monday, 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM; Session VI, 4:30 to 5:30 PM.
The IFC Privacy subcommittee usually meets on Sunday from 10:30 to 11:30 PM during Midwinter and Annual Conference.
All IFC meetings are open to all members of ALA.