Committee on Literacy
Displaying active committee roster as of 04/27/2016. Last retrieved on 04/27/2016. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
Public Posts from ALA Connect
- Committee on Literacy All-Subcommittee Planning Meeting
- Committee on Literacy Meeting and Literacy Assembly Meeting
- 2013 COUNCIL RESOLUTION REAFFIRMING ALA’s COMMITMENT TO BASIC LITERACY
- School Library Resource for Digital Literaacy
- Meeting Notes from Annual 2013
- Agenda for Midwinter Assembly and ALL Subcommittee Meetings
- Meetings at Midwinter 2014
- Our work this year--please read and respond
- Committee on Literacy Events at 2013 Annual Conference
- Notes from 6/10 Conference Call
The Committee on Literacy consists of 10 members appointed by the Committee on Appointments, in cooperation with the ALA president-elect, serving 2 year staggered terms and led by a chair, appointed annually.
Subcommittees & Task Forces
- Literacy Assembly
Definition of Literacy
Adopted by the Committee on Literacy June 24, 2005, at its meeting during ALA Annual Conference in Chicago:
[Literacy is defined as the ability to use] "printed and written information to function in society, to achieve one's goals, and to develop one's knowledge and potential." United States Department of Education, 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy.