Preservation & Reformatting Section (PARS)
This section focuses on:
- the preservation and reformatting of library materials in all types of institutions
- applying new technologies to ensure continued access to library collections
- Preservation Showdown: 2016 ALA Annual Conference
- Digital Preservation Education: Choosing the Options That Are Right for You
- PARS Committee and Interest Group Reports, Midwinter 2016
Manages the activities of the Preservation and Reformatting Section.
Identifies suitable nominees, contacts prospective candidates, and submits a slate to the ALCTS Board and the PARS Executive Committee.
Program, Planning, & Publications
Is responsible for drafting annual and long-range goals for the section and coordinating the activities of all section committees related to preservation education, publication, and program planning.
Preservation Standards & Practices
Promotes appropriate methods and materials for preserving library materials in all formats; identifies relevant information regarding standards, recommended practices, and technical reports; and coordinates similar activities inside and outside of PARS.
Preservation Week Committee
Develops, facilitates, and maintains the initiative for a national Preservation Week focused on collections.
Liaisons & Representatives
PARS liaisons and representatives facilitate communication between the section and division-level committees. | roster
Book and Paper IG
Fosters discussion of issues pertaining to the preservation and continuing role of books, paper-based materials, and other tangible artifacts in collections.
Digital Conversion IG
Discusses care and handling, stabilization, vendor out-sourcing, in-house conversion, derivatives, and deliverables for content ingest to enterprise systems.
Digital Preservation IG
Offers mini hot-topic presentations at each Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting.
Preservation Administration IG
Provides a forum for discussing issues and developments in preservation administration.
Preservation Metadata IG
Organizes speakers to discuss preservation metadata topics of interest to the group; evaluates and documents practices related to preservation metadata standards; encourages and recognizes innovation and motivates practitioners to adopt new and improved practices.
Promoting Preservation IG
Advocates for the preservation of cultural heritage materials; promotes the understanding of preservation principles and objectives, development of preservation skill sets, and cultivation of potential preservation funding sources.
Facilitates and maintains the online presence of the section.
New Members WG
Reaches out to new PARS members between Annual Conference and Midwinter Meetings.
- Minimum Digitization Capture Guidelines (2013)
- Digital Audio Metadata Standards, revised (August 2011)
- Definitions of Digital Preservation (June 2009)
- Guide to the ANSI/NISO/LBI Library Binding Standard (March 2009)
- Disaster Preparedness Clearinghouse (February 2009)