Why Join ALCTS?
ALCTS is here for you:
- Standards. Members develop and evaluate world-wide library standards for RDA implementation, linked data, preservation, metadata and archiving.
- Information Exchange. The ALCTS peer network consists of professionals who enjoy the work as you do and can help you build your skills as it enriches your worklife. Share what you know.
- Best Practices. Members share experience and build lasting methods for workforce development with ALA, Library of Congress, OCLC and others.
- Continuing Education. Find relevant online and in-person training and extension courses to stay ahead of new developments, keep skills sharp and knowledge current.
- Publications. ALCTS publishing committees create the best print and Web-based resources for your work. Library Resources & Technical Services is the foremost peer-to-peer resource in technical services.
- Professional Development. Serving on ALCTS committees, contributing to the publishing program or creating content for continuing education builds your skills and your resume while you work on issues that impact the profession.
Not sure if ALCTS is right for you?
Each of our members has had to make the decision to join—just like you're doing now. Several ALCTS members have taken the time to share what their membership has meant to them both professionally and personally. Read about their ALCTS Experiences.
Looking for more professional involvement but don’t know where to start? Want to volunteer with ALCTS, but don't know what committee or group to join? We’ve got you covered. View Virtual ALCTS 101, a free webinar providing an informal orientation to our association and, by extension, our field. Slides from the webinar are also available.
Still have questions about ALCTS? Join us for ALCTS 101 during ALA Annual 2017 in Chicago.
ALA Membership and Dues
In order to join ALCTS, you first join the American Library Association (ALA). Choose the membership type that's right for you and add ALCTS membership to it. You can then join any of ALCTS five special interest sections (or all of them) for free.
As you might expect, the amount of your dues will depend on your membership type. See the Membership Types page for more information on ALA dues. ALCTS dues are the cost of ALA membership plus:
- Personal: $65
- Support Staff: $25
- Student: $15
- Retired: $35
- Corporate: $75
- Organizational: $75
Learn more about membership in these online documents, or contact ALA Member and Customer Services at 1-800-545-2433 (press 5). The professional MACS staff will answer your questions and help you select the right membership type.