Students — Join and Rejoin ALA and your state library association (chapter) for one low price.
Forty-nine chapters allow students to join and rejoin one state library association (for example, the North Dakota Library Association) and ALA for one low price of $42, now through August 31, 2020. (See also Strengthen Library Advocacy: Join Your State Library Association Today!). To apply for joint student membership online, please find your state association immediately below and complete the online form through ALA's secure database.If you have any comments or questions about the ALA joint student membership program, please contact Mariel Colbert.
Join and Rejoin online now by selecting your participating state library association listed below. If you have trouble opening a form, it may be your version of Firefox. Please use another browser such as Google Chrome or contact Mariel Colbert.
Who Is Eligible?
Students enrolled in MLS/MLIS, CAEP, and LTA programs are eligible for ALA's discounted student membership dues and are encouraged to participate in ALA activities, including committee work, conferences, and programs. Get involved with your association and to learn from experienced librarians and to offer your own fresh perspectives and ideas. See AASL-CAEP School Librarianship Education Programs.
Types of ALA Student Memberships
- Regular student membership in ALA is $39/year (9/1/19-8/31/20) and is limited to five total years.
- Joint student memberships is limited to five total years.
Dear Joint Student Membership Program, What Are Four Important Quick Facts I Need to Know?
The four important quick facts I need to know about the joint student membership program are:
- PLEASE NOTE: Joint ALA membership cannot be added to a current Chapter membership. ALA encourages students who joined their Chapter before knowing about the joint student membership program to join ALA as a joint ALA-Chapter member when their Chapter membership comes up for renewal.
- After joining ALA, current ALA students—within 90 days of joining ALA—may convert their memberships to joint student memberships. Contact ALA Members and Customer Service at 800-545-2433.
- You may join any one of the participating Chapters and ALA through the joint student membership program. For example, if your state library association is not yet a partner in the program, you may join a neighboring state library association that is a partner, or one across the country; but you just can't join more than one partnering Chapter and ALA. Each joint student membership is between one of the partnering Chapters and ALA.
- If your state library association (chapter) is interested in participating in the joint student membership program, please contact the Chapter Relations Office. See also Joint Student Membership Partnership between ALA and Chapters: How Does It Work?
Personal Data Notification
The ALA (American Library Association and its units) and the ALA-APA (Allied Professional Association) (collectively “ALA”) use the personal data you provide to the ALA to process membership, inform you of products, services, conferences, education opportunities, events and for other purposes which are within the Association’s mission. To accomplish these actions, ALA contracts with third-parties who gather and process personal data to complete interactions such as online purchases, conference registration, and fulfillment. The personal data as provided is processed and stored as a legitimate Interest to the ALA in order to fulfill your requests for information and services from ALA.
- Students: ALA encourages you to save money and join online. Click on your state library association below to see all the wonderful benefits you will receive by joining and participating in your association. Then become a joint student member by joining online above.
- Student Chapters and Faculty Advisors: Distribute these brochures at your membership events and encourage attendees to join two great associations for one low price.
- Partnering Chapters: Distribute these brochures at your annual conferences to encourage students to join two great associations—ALA and yours!
If you require a large supply of the printed brochures contact the ALA membership department.