Business Reference and Services Section (BRASS)
Welcome to BRASS, your home for sharing and receiving expertise on all aspects of business reference! Our members come from all kinds of libraries, including public, academic, and corporate.
New & Noteworthy
Learn from experts during the BRASS preconference at ALA Annual!
- June 26, 2015, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
- For more details and registration info, download the flyer.
Intellectual Property for Entrepreneurs
What are common misconceptions about intellectual property among entrepreneurs? Two IP attorneys will discuss disputes and challenges startups are facing. Librarians and entrepreneurs will also get tips from experts on effective patent and trademark searching, learn about Patent and Trademark Resource Centers, and get introduced to best practices in library collaboration with the university commercialization office.
Save the Date for the BRASS Program at ALA Annual!
- Monday, June 29th: 8:30 - 10am
- Continental breakfast provided by S&P Capital IQ from 8 - 8:30am
“Not Elsewhere Classified”: Researching New and Niche Industries
How do librarians teach business students and entrepreneurs the research techniques for a budding industry or market? How do we help our clients get ahead of an emerging industry or a new idea? Learn from experts about how to locate and evaluate information on leading-edge industries, assess markets, and lead your clients in making strategic decisions when their business crosses traditional NAICS code boundaries or is part of a new field.
Committee Volunteers Needed!
- Check out the BRASS Committees
- Go to RUSA's volunteer page and login to ALA
- Select RUSA from the dropdown menu
- Complete the form about yourself and your current ALA responsibilities
- Select RUSA_BRASS from the second drop down menu
- Indicate which committees you would like to help with
You do not necessarily need to travel to conferences to volunteer. While some committees must meet in-person, many have virtual assignments, and some do all their work online. Most committee assignments last two years (there are exceptions) and begin and end after ALA Annual conference. Thank you! :)