CODES, the Collection Development and Evaluation Section is the place in ALA for reference/user services librarians and staff from all types of libraries to discuss the rapidly changing landscape of collection development, readers’ advisory, and publishing. The possibilities for professional and personal growth in CODES are vast!
We offer relevant programs for your daily work, publications and guides, and great networking opportunities.
In addition, CODES offers six awards for outstanding books and reference works:
- Notable Books for Adults (the year’s 25 most important works of fiction, non-fiction and poetry)
- Outstanding Reference Sources (outstanding reference publications for small and medium-sized libraries)
- The Reading List (top fiction in eight genres)
- The Sophie Brody Award (achievement in Jewish literature)
- Dartmouth Medal (the most significant reference work)
- The Listen List: Outstanding Audiobook Narration
Plus two achievement awards:
- Zora Neale Hurston Award (demonstrated leadership in promoting African American literature)
- Louis Shores Award (acknowledgement for excellence in book reviewing and other media for libraries)
Great people - great programs – and plenty of opportunities to make a difference. Interested in joining? We welcome your energy, enthusiasm and commitment.