Charge and Work
To develop a strategic and coordinated approach for PLA related to issues of equity, diversity and inclusion. The task force will explore methods and consider resources to be developed that will allow PLA to take a multifaceted approach. This may include recommending how EDI content is integrated into PLA programs; elevating successful libraries as models to generate and share best practices; identifying ways PLA might influence equity and inclusion within public libraries; and helping libraries serve diverse communities and staff.
Deliverables and outcomes:
- Initiate training programs on equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice (EDISJ) for the public library field, through webinars, presentations at ALA and PLA conferences, and regional symposia held at public libraries nationwide in 2019 and 2020
- Advise PLA on how to integrate an EDISJ focus into PLA conference programming, strategic planning, and more
- Regularly communicate to the public library field about EDISJ issues through a periodic e-newsletter, articles in Public Libraries magazine, and other strategies
- Elevate successful libraries as models to generate and share best practices
- Learn from and coordinate work with external EDISJ experts, such as the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE) and Race Forward
Expected time commitment:
- Attend ALA Midwinter Meeting and ALA Annual Conference (4 hours/year plus travel time)
- Attend monthly virtual meetings (10–12 hours/year)
- Participate on project subcommittees such as communications, training, etc. as assigned (variable)
- Review and respond to emails and ALA Connect messages (2–3 hours/year)
- Provide subject matter expertise on priority projects (12 hours/year)
- (Optional) Represent PLA and the Task Force at relevant national meetings such as the Joint Conference on Librarians of Color (variable)
Desired skills, knowledge, or experience:
- Personal interest in and strong commitment to social justice and providing equitable library services for all
- Experience as a leader or active participant in addressing EDISJ issues at your public library of employment
- Strong speaking and/or writing skills to help the Task Force advance its projects
Displaying active committee roster as of 10/20/2019. Last retrieved on 10/20/2019. Members can log in to view full contact information for committee members.
The task force is comprised of up to twenty (20) members, led by two (2) co-chairs.
Created by the Board of Directors as its Midwinter 2017 meeting.
To be a thriving, vibrant organization, PLA must have committed and active committee members. If you are interested in serving on a committee, please read and fill out the online volunteer form.
- Volunteers are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Appointments are made by the PLA President and President-Elect, primarily in the spring.
- Volunteers must be members of ALA and PLA.
Join the PLA Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice Interest Group on ALA Connect to stay up-to-date on these topics and connect with peers on similar issues. PLA personal membership is required to join.