In addition to the numerous benefits provided by your ALA membership, PLA personal membership connects you to a wealth of resources specifically for public libraries, including:
Members receive discounts on professional development offerings including online education, events, and products.
- A 20% discount on online education, including webinars and courses
- A 10–50% discount on professional development events like PLA Conference and PLA preconferences at ALA Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings
- A 10% discount on ALA and PLA products in the online ALA Store
Publications & Resources
Members receive a free subscription to Public Libraries magazine and exclusive access to our members-only newsletter and PLA Member Library.
- Free access to the new PLA Member Library (login required*), which includes titles in the PLA Quick Reads series beginning with Building and Operating a Digital Media Lab
- A free subscription to Public Libraries, the official print journal of PLA (a $65 value). Published six times a year, each issue includes peer-written and peer-reviewed feature articles and columns on professional trends and best practices in the public library field
- Exclusive access to the PLA E-News, the members-only email newsletter with information professional development, grants, jobs, and free resources for public library professionals
Networking & Leadership Development
Members are connected to a community of nearly 10,000 public library professionals where they can share skills and develop new ones through leadership training, networking, and volunteer opportunities.
- Complimentary registration for the PLA Member Welcome Breakfast, an event at ALA Annual that brings members together to enjoy a meal, hear from a special keynote speaker, and celebrate PLA award winners
- Volunteer opportunities with PLA committees and advisory groups that work on critical issues for the association and profession, such as technology, legislation and advocacy, leadership development, intellectual freedom, conferences, and more
- Publishing opportunities in Public Libraries and on Public Libraries Online, or through developing a unique professional publication
- Exclusive access to the PLA Member Community and PLA interest groups on ALA Connect (login required*) where members engage with public library people who share the same interests
- Annual calls for conference program proposals
- Eligibility to apply for the PLA Leadership Academy
Members support our commitment to move the profession forward and represent the interests of public libraries everywhere.
*You will be asked to login to confirm your current PLA personal membership. If you’ve forgotten your login information, you'll be able to retrieve your username/password or create a login if you don't have one from the "Login" page.
How To Join
There are three convenient ways to join PLA/ALA.
- Join securely online.
- Print and fill out a membership form and fax or mail it in.
- Call the ALA Member and Customer Service Center at 1-800-545-2433 and press 5.
If you have questions regarding membership dues or becoming a member, please contact the ALA Member and Customer Service (MACS) Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-545-2433 and press 5. MACS representatives are available to assist you Monday–Friday, 8:30 AM–4:30 PM Central.