PLA provides a wealth of resources dedicated to helping you build career-changing knowledge and networks. Additionally, ALA membership is a prerequisite to PLA personal and organizational membership and brings its own benefits.
Discounts on Professional Development
- A 20% discount on online education, including webinars and courses
- A 10–50% discount on professional development events like PLA Conference and PLA preconferences at ALA Annual Conferences and Midwinter Meetings
- A 10% discount on ALA and PLA products in the online ALA Store
Publications and Resources
- Free access to the new PLA Member Library (login required*), which includes new titles in the PLA Quick Reads series beginning with the recently published Building and Operating a Digital Media Lab
- A free subscription to Public Libraries, the official print journal of PLA (a $65 value). Published six times a year, each issue includes peer-written and peer-reviewed feature articles and columns on professional trends and best practices in the public library field
- Exclusive access to the PLA E-News, the members-only e-mail newsletter with information professional development, grants, jobs, and free resources for public library professionals
Networking and Participating
- Complimentary registration for the PLA Member Welcome Breakfast, an event at ALA Annual that brings members together to enjoy a meal, hear from a special keynote speaker, and celebrate PLA award winners
- Volunteer opportunities with PLA committees and advisory groups that work on critical issues for the association and profession, such as technology, legislation and advocacy, leadership development, intellectual freedom, conferences, and more
- Publishing opportunities in Public Libraries and on Public Libraries Online, or through developing a unique professional publication
- Connect @ PLA, an online Community of Practice dedicated to members and designed to foster discussion and ideas about interests specific to public libraries
- Annual calls for conference program proposals
PLA is also committed to working on behalf of its members to move the profession forward and represent the interests of public librarians and public libraries everywhere. And as a PLA member, you will be connected to a network of nearly 9,000 professionals who, like you, are dedicated to the future of public libraries.
*You will be asked to login to confirm your current PLA personal membership. To log in, click "Login" in the upper right corner and then enter your ALA website login and password. If you’ve forgotten your login information, you'll be able to retrieve your username/password or create a login if you don't have one from the "Login" page.
How To Join
There are three convenient ways to join PLA/ALA.
- Join securely online.
- Print and fill out a membership form and fax or mail it in.
- Call the ALA Member and Customer Service Center at 1-800-545-2433 and press 5.
If you have questions regarding membership dues or becoming a member, please contact the ALA Member and Customer Service (MACS) Center at email@example.com or 1-800-545-2433 and press 5. MACS representatives are available to assist you Monday–Friday, 8:30 AM–4:30 PM Central.