Four Important Reasons to Join PLA
- You won’t miss out on insightful and educational issues of Public Libraries and exclusive access to the members-only PLA E-News.
- You get free access to the new PLA Member Library (login required), which includes new titles in the PLA Quick Reads series beginning with the recently published Building and Operating a Digital Media Lab.
- You’ll be eligible for discounts on webinars and other PLA educational events, including PLA Conference.
- Your support will make a difference for PLA’s nationwide public library advocacy efforts.
How To Join
There are three convenient ways to join PLA/ALA.
- Join securely online.
- Print and fill out a membership form and fax or mail it in.
- Call the ALA Member and Customer Service Center at 1-800-545-2433 and press 5.
PLA Membership Dues
Effective September 1, 2017–August 31, 2018
Please note: You must be a personal member of the American Library Association (ALA) to join PLA. Membership rates listed below do not include the price of ALA personal membership. Information about ALA dues is available online.
|Non-salaried or retired member
This category is for inactive, retired, or unemployed, or for full or part-time in a library service position at a salary less than $30,000 a year.
|Trustee and associate members
This category includes those who are not employed in library and information services or related activities, but through their personal commitment and support, promote library and information services. Members of governing boards, advisory groups, Friends organizations, and special citizen caucuses, and/or individuals interested in participating in the work of PLA.
Your institution can also show its support for public libraries and receive access to valuable professional resources for its staff by becoming an Organizational Member in PLA.
Paying Dues in Installments
Personal members whose annual dues total $135 or more in any combination of ALA, divisions, sections, and round tables may choose to pay in two equal installments when joining with a credit or debit card. Learn more about paying dues in installments.
If you have questions regarding membership dues or becoming a member, please contact the ALA Member and Customer Service (MACS) Center at email@example.com or 1-800-545-2433 and press 5. MACS representatives are available to assist you Monday–Friday, 8:30 AM–4:30 PM Central.