PLA Mission and Goals
The Public Library Association enhances the development and effectiveness of public library staff and public library services. This mission positions PLA to:
- Focus its efforts on serving the needs of its members
- Address issues which affect public libraries
- Commit to quality public library services that benefit the general public
Core Purpose (2010)
To strengthen public libraries and their contribution to the communities they serve.
Core Organizational Values (2010)
PLA is dedicated to:
- Visionary Leadership.
- Member Focus.
- Integrity and Transparency.
- Openness, Inclusiveness, and Collaboration.
- Excellence and Innovation.
PLA Goals (2010)
- Advocacy and Awareness: PLA is an essential partner in public library advocacy.
- Leadership and Transformation: PLA is the leading source for learning opportunities to advance transformation of public libraries.
- Literate Nation: PLA will be a leader and valued partner of public libraries' initiatives to create a literate nation.
- Organizational Excellence: PLA is positioned to sustain and grow its resources to advance the work of the association.
From PLA Strategic Plan, approved by the PLA Board of Directors, June 2010.