Public libraries have a unique and unparalleled ability to bring people and knowledge together, and PLA is committed to helping libraries achieve their mission through the core values of openness and inclusiveness. In February 2017, PLA formed a Task Force on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI), which will work to strengthen the organization’s commitment to its core values, while ensuring issues of EDI remain a top priority.
About the PLA Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The task force has been charged with developing a strategic and coordinated approach for PLA related to EDI issues. The task force explores methods and considers resources that will allow PLA to take a multifaceted approach. Task force activities include but are not limited to:
- making recommendations for how EDI content is integrated into PLA programs;
- elevating successful libraries as models to generate and share best practices;
- identifying ways PLA might influence equity and inclusion within public libraries; and
- helping libraries serve diverse communities and staff.
Updates on the PLA EDI Initiative
- PLA EDI Newsletter: April 2018 ed., Jan. 2018 ed., Oct. 2017 ed.
- September 2017 update from the PLA EDI Task Force (9/21/2017)
- ALA and affiliates issue joint statement on equity, diversity, and inclusion (8/3/2017)
- Updated ALA Bill of Rights interpretation of equity, diversity, and inclusion (6/27/2017)
- PLA forms new task force on equity, diversity, and inclusion (2/8/2017)
Understanding Power, Identity, and Oppression in the Public Library
A FREE on-demand webinar
Panelists: Katie Dover-Taylor, Jody Gray & Amita Lonial
In alignment with ALA’s strategic direction on equity, diversity, and inclusion, this on-demand webinar provides an introductory understanding of the concepts of power, identity, and oppression, and how they impact public libraries’ staff, services, programs, collections, and spaces. Through presentation and dialogue, the panelists discuss the role of allies in addressing these concepts. More…
PLA Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Interest Group
Join PLA’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) interest group to connect with members interested in building skills and organizational capacity to address issues of EDI. Please note that participation in PLA interest groups is limited to PLA personal members and login is required.*
PLA Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion e-News
Members and non-members alike can receive news about Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. Just visit the PLA Email Opt-In Manager and select the box labeled "Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Newsletter." There you can also subscribe for specialized newsletters on Promoting Healthy Communities: A Health Information Initiative; and PLA's Performance Measurement Initiative, AKA Project Outcome.
*You will be asked to login with your ALA website login and password to confirm your current PLA personal membership. If you’ve forgotten your login information, you'll be able to retrieve your username/password or create a login if you don't have one from the "Login" page.