Learn. Connect. Advance. Join and Invest.
Join more than 58,000 other ALA members to collectively support and advance your profession while enhancing your own knowledge, abilities, and career that can change the world for the better through libraries. There are several types of Personal Memberships in ALA, all with the same rights and privileges. Dues are based on the role one has in library work. Special rates are available for retirees, students, friends, trustees, international, and non-salaried/unemployed members. ALA division and round table memberships are available for an additional fee — and special dues rates may also be available.
Your membership and every dollar you spend on ALA materials, education, conferences, and more is an investment supporting the work of ALA and your profession, empowering libraries — yours, a child’s school library, the public library down the street, the local university’s research library, special libraries, and others. ALA's efforts, with your support, keep the doors open to worlds of information, learning, and enjoyment.
"I get a lot of out my memberships in WLA [Wisconsin Library Association], PLA [Public Library Association], and ALA - mentorship; leadership opportunities; continuing education opportunities; access to award committee membership as well as serving on committees to advance youth librarianship; a chance to work together to strengthen libraries; opportunities to network with other colleagues; time to change how we approach youth services on a state and local level.
"I also put my money into these associations because they stand up for me...and for you...and for us. Our state and national associations stand up for libraries and librarians politically. They stand up for intellectual freedom and protecting everyone's right to read. They work in partnership to ensure that there is equal access to reading and literacy regardless of format and age of user. Read the full blog post "We Stand Stronger Together" by Marge Loch-Wouters, Children's Librarian in La Crosse, Wisc.
- Periodicals and Publications. ALA, its divisions, round tables and offices publish a wide array of newsletters, magazines, and journals—including American Libraries magazine and the members-only, award-winning AL Direct e-publication. ALA is your best source for the latest must-have books and periodicals for library and information professionals, as well as the for most dynamic posters, bookmarks and promotional materials. You receive the latest news and analysis about policies and developments that affect your library, along with informed advice your career and for serving your community.
- Resources. ALA membership delivers access to an abundance of resources. such as our advocacy tutorial webinars , ‘Tough Economy Toolkit’ , Advocacy University, and the I Love Libraries website -- helping members confront budget issues and demonstrate the value of their libraries. For other questions, the resources from the ALA Library—Fact Sheets, a list of the ALA Standards and Guidelines, and resource guides on a wide range of topics—should prove useful. The ALA Public Programs Office promotes cultural and community programming as an essential part of library service. Through professional development activities, programming resources, model programs and grant opportunities, the Public Programs Office supports libraries as they fill their role as community cultural center, a place of cultural and civic engagement, where people of all backgrounds gather for reflection, discovery, participation and growth.
- Essential Divisions and Round Tables offer the best opportunities to connect with others sharing your interests and specializations. Bridge the gap between theory, practice and enjoyment in your work life by connecting with other members who care about the issues and interests important to you. You will find the resources and the professional community you want at your ALA division or round table.
- Learn and Grow Professionally. Grow your professional and leadership skills via ALA's world class professional development opportunities including online CE, career resource assistance, conference programs, and publications for any job in all types of libraries. Get tips and find new techniques to improve the quality of service you provide to your community. Membership gives you the access you want and the tools you need.
- Conferences, Meetings, Institutes, and More. The largest library conferences, meetings, virtual meetings and trade shows in the world are available to members at a discount. ALA Members receive significant discounts on registration fees for Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting
- Professional Development. ALA ensures the highest continuing education opportunities—and all are discounted to ALA Members. From regional institutes and symposia to online learning, take advantage of your member discount and further your career.
Information. Insight. Interaction
- Gain Important Ideas and Insights. We are your source for news and analysis about this evolving, changing, and dynamic publishing, library, and policy environment. Through our blogs, journals, and other publications, we help keep you up to date and informed about the ongoing and emerging topics that are of special interest to you.
- Connect with Colleagues, Friends, and Experts. Your fellow members are the best kind of consultants–a dedicated community facing similar challenges and working together to overcome them with fresh ideas and energy. You’ll find new colleagues and friends to share, create, and work with on topics and issues that matter to you – in person, via social media, and through ALAConnect, which provides online communities for peer interaction, joining others who share professional interests, and participating in ALA committees and groups. Joining ALA puts you in touch right away.
- Better Serve Your Community. ALA is the leader in library advocacy, working on national, state, and local issues affecting library funding and the profession. Standing together and adding your name to our roster of advocates means we can speak with one voice about the future of libraries. Membership offers you the chance to make a real difference for librarians and library staff all across the country.
- Committee Service. Get involved to get the most out of your membership. Members have an opportunity to serve on ALA committees and more.
- Learn about ALA Awards, Scholarships and Grants that are available to members.
- Connect with Expert Advisors. Membership gives you access to expert advisors and resources, including ALA staff expert, member leaders, or specialists.
ALA members have access to special discount and added-value programs. Personal members benefit from numerous discount and special programs on a variety of products, programs and services, lowering the overall cost of membership and adding value to your ALA membership. MVP value-added and discount opportunities include Geico auto insurance, auto rental, Dollar Day savings, Geico homeowner’s insurance, office supply discounts, and free priority access to NetGalley digital galleys.