Learn. Connect. Advance. Professional and Personally.
UPDATE: Are you one of over 10,000 librarians already using NetGalley? If so, update your profile and be sure to list the ALA as one of your professional organizations! If not, sign up for free to start previewing the newest titles on all major reading devices and tablets. Librarians have one of the highest approval ratings, especially when the library name/ALA distinction is shown clearly in their profile!
Standing together in membership lets librarians and library staff access important solutions and resources to address problems you might otherwise face alone. To help meet these challenges, the American Library Association (ALA) works for members in new and innovative ways. ALA encourages you to investigate, use, and engage with the resources available to you. Join 58,000 other ALA members helping collectively support and advance your profession at the same time as enhancing your own knowledge, abilities, and career.
There are several types of Personal Memberships in ALA, but all types have the same rights and privileges. Dues are based on the roles one has in library work. Special rates are available for Retirees, Students, Friends, Trustees, International, and Non-Salaried or Unemployed members. Membership in ALA Divisions and Round Tables is an additional fee, and special dues rates may also be available.
Numerous Resources such as our advocacy tutorial webinars and ‘Tough Economy Toolkit’ , Advocacy University, the I Love Libraries and @your library websites -- helping members confront budget issues and demonstrate the value of their libraries. The ALA Public Programs Office promotes cultural and community programming as an essential part of library service. Through professional development activities, programming resources, model programs and grant opportunities, the Public Programs Office supports libraries as they fill their role as community cultural center, a place of cultural and civic engagement, where people of all backgrounds gather for reflection, discovery, participation and growth.
Essential Divisions and Round Tables are unmatched in their ability to connect you with others in your areas of interest and specialization. Bridge the gap across theory, practice and enjoyment in your work life by connecting with other members who care about and work on similar issues and interests. You will find the resources you need and the professional community you want at the ALA.
Learn and Grow Professionally. ALA sets the standard and members receive the benefits of the best training, online CE, job seeking, conference programs, and publications for any job in every type of library. Get tips and new techniques to help improve the quality of service to your community and your work. Membership gives you the access you want and the tools you need.
- The largest library conferences and trade shows in the world are available to you at a discount as an ALA Member. ALA Members always receive at least a 40% discount on registration fees for Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting.
- ALA ensures the highest continuing education opportunities—and all are discounted to ALA Members. From regional institutes and symposia to online learning, take advantage of your member discount and further your career.
Information, Insight, and Interaction
Gain Important Ideas and Insights. We are your source for news and analysis about this evolving, changing, and dynamic publishing, library, and policy environment. Through our blogs, journals, and other publications, we help keep you up to date and informed about the ongoing and emerging topics that are of special interest to you.
Connect with Colleagues, Friends, and Experts. Your fellow members are the best kind of consultants–a dedicated community facing similar challenges and working together to overcome them with fresh ideas and energy. You’ll find new colleagues and friends to share, create, and work with on topics and issues that matter to you – in person, via social media, and through ALAConnect, which provides online communities for peer interaction, joining others who share professional interests, and participating in ALA committees and groups. Joining ALA puts you in touch right away.
Better Serve Your Community. ALA is the leader in library advocacy, working on national, state, and local issues affecting library funding and the profession. Standing together and adding your name to our roster of advocates means we can speak with one voice about the future of libraries. Membership offers you the chance to make a real difference for librarians and library staff all across the country.
Information about the Awards, Scholarships and Grants that are available to members.
ALL offers special programs, added value, and special discounts. Personal members benefit from numerous discount and special programs on a variety of products, programs and services, lowering the overall cost of membership and adding value to your ALA membership. These include discounts on books and publications, insurance, office supplies, shipping discounts and more. Get complete details.
- Discounts on the largest library conferences and trade shows in the world are available to members at a discounted rate.
- ALA Members always receive a discount on registration fees for ALA’s Annual Conference and Midwinter Meeting.
- Discounts for members on ALA continuing education opportunities. From online learning, to regional institutes and symposia take advantage of your member discount and further your career.
- Member Value programs offering added value and select discounts including Geico auto insurance, Avis auto rental, an ALA-branded credit card with numerous benefits, information about awards, scholarships & grants for ALA Members, Books-A-Million discounts, priority access to NetGalley digital galleys, Dollar Day savings, Geico homeowner’s insurance, OfficeMax office supply discounts, and the FedEx Advantage discount program.
- Numerous free and discounted publications, including American Libraries magazine and AL Direct that help keep you informed and up-to-date. You receive the latest news about policies and developments that affect librarians and libraries, along with informed analysis and advice you need for your career.
- Are you one of over 10,000 librarians already using NetGalley? If so, update your profile and be sure to list the ALA as one of your professional organizations! If not, sign up for free to start previewing the newest titles on all major reading devices and tablets. Librarians have one of the highest approval ratings, especially when the library name/ALA distinction is shown clearly in their profile!