Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Metadata
- 2:00 PM-3:00 PM (Eastern)
- 1:00 PM-2:00 PM (Central)
- 12:00 PM-1:00 PM (Mountain)
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM (Pacific)
an ALCTS Virtual Preconference
How are metadata creators developing methods to encourage the creation of metadata that represents diverse points of view? How does using sources of authority control such as LCSH contribute to misrepresentation of cultural heritage materials? Are our digital libraries equitable? This virtual program provides a venue for sharing ideas to promote cultural competencies and inclusivity in the metadata process.
- Presentation 1: Digital Project as Community Outreach: A New Way of Approaching Metadata
- Presentation 2: Doing Justice to the Humanities: Increasing Inclusivity with More Specific Subject Description
- Presentation 1: Towards Counter-Cultural Competencies: Mutual Metadata Creation and the Zine Union Catalog Project
- Presentation 2: We Don’t Use Those Words Anymore: Describing Yesterday’s News Today
- Participants will be able to identify ways to increase cultural inclusiveness of their metadata, leading to enhanced description and better representation.
- Participants will be exposed to new frameworks that will enrich their practices for creating descriptive metadata
Who Should Attend
Librarians and staff who are engaged in descriptive work in digital libraries or library catalogs and technical services librarians and staff interested in raising their awareness of diversity, equity, and inclusion issues
|Patricia Dragon, Head, Special Collections Cataloging, East Carolina University|
|Jennifer Joyner, Digital Collections Librarian, East Carolina University|
|Allison Miller Simonds, University Library Technician, East Carolina University|
|Amanda Vinogradov, Special Collections Cataloger, East Carolina University|
|Brian Luna Lucero, Digital Repository Coordinator, Columbia University Libraries|
|Honor Moody, Cataloger, Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study/Harvard Library|
|Allison Jai O'Dell|
|Ivey Glendon, Manager, Metadata Analysis & Design, University of Virginia Library|
|Jennifer O’Brien Roper, Interim Senior Director, Collections Access & Discovery, University of Virginia Library|
|ALCTS Member (individual)||43||69|
|Groups. Applies to group of people that will watch the webinar together from one access point.||129||206|
All webinars are recorded and the one-time fee includes unlimited access to the webinar recording. All registered attendees will receive the link to the recorded session so if you are unable to attend the webinar at the time it is presented, you will have the opportunity to listen to the recording at your convenience.
How to Register
Complete the online registration form. Courses are listed by date and you must log in.
Contact us to register:
Call 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 to reach our customer service representatives.
Computer with Internet access (high-speed connection is best) and media player software. Headphones recommended.