We Can Do It, You Can Too! Metadata Automation for Everyone
an ALCTS Virtual Preconference
This 2-part virtual preconference will feature presentations on workflows and automation tools to aid in metadata transformation, repurposing formats like EAD or MARC, reconciliation through Open Refine, or clean-up of legacy data.
As the pressure mounts to “digitize all the things!," the need to upload new digital material quickly, efficiently, and accurately while maintaining established standards for discovery and interoperability becomes essential. Methods for meeting these expectations include leveraging existing archival data, batch processing, vocabulary reconciliation, and other techniques.
- Understand best tools for gathering descriptive metadata content for your library
- Ability to implement workflows for metadata in digital files
- (New) Migrating ETDs from Dublin Core to MODS: Automated Processes for Metadata Enhancement
- Finding a New Metadata M.O.: Metadata Automation on a Budget at a Medium-Sized Institution
- Presented by Joseph R. Nicholson, Metadata Librarian at University of North Carolina-Charlotte
- Ability to automate the cleanup of legacy metadata
- Understand tools for metadata refinement and conversion
- Editing Legacy Metadata for ETDs: Description of a Best Practice Using the MARCEdit Plug-In Tool
- Presented by Marielle Veve, Metadata Librarian, University of North Florida
- Looking Back, Moving Forward: A Large-Scale Metadata Remediation Effort
- Presented by Maggie Dickson, Metadata Architect, Duke University
This virtual preconference is generously sponsored by Springer Nature.
- be able to identify ways to assess the impact and reuse of their metadata and maximize their efforts in the future;
- gain knowledge of data conversion tools and processes (such as XSLT, OpenRefine, MarcEdit, and others) that can help automate metadata transformation and cleanup at their own institution; and
- make decisions on workflows to create descriptive metadata with greater efficiency.
Who Should Attend
Metadata Librarians, Institutional/Digital Repository Librarians, Preservation Librarians, Digital Initiatives Librarians, Data Curation Librarians/Specialists, Special Collections Librarians, Archivists
Annie Glerum, Head of Complex Cataloging, Florida State University Libraries
Dominique Bortmas, Metadata Librarian, University of South Florida Libraries
Joseph R. Nicholson, Metadata Librarian, University of North Carolina-Charlotte
Marielle Veve, Metadata Librarian, University of North Florida
Maggie Dickson, Metadata Architect, Duke University
|Participant||Each||Series of 2|
|ALCTS Member (individual)||43||69|
|Groups. Applies to group of people that will watch the webinar together from one access point.|
All webinars are recorded and the one-time fee includes unlimited access to the webinar recording. All registered attendees will receive the link to the recorded session so if you are unable to attend the webinar at the time it is presented, you will have the opportunity to listen to the recording at your convenience.
How to Register
Complete the online registration form. Courses are listed by date and you must log in.
Contact us to register:
Call 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 to reach our customer service representatives or
Register by mail for the session you would like to attend. (If you receive an error message after clicking the "register by mail" link, right-click the link and save the form to your computer.)
Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries IG; Creative Ideas in Technical Services Interest Group
Computer with Internet access (high-speed connection is best) and media player software. Headphones recommended.
ALCTS webinars are presented through GoToWebinar. Check to see if your system supports GoToWebinar.