Intellectual Freedom Award
Sponsored by ProQuest
Deadline: February 1, 2015
The Intellectual Freedom Award is given for upholding the principles of intellectual freedom as set forth by the American Association of School Librarians and the American Library Association.
The following criteria will be used in the selection process:
- The recipient shall be a personal member of AASL.
- The recipient shall meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Has developed and implemented an exemplary selection policy/challenge procedure
- Has developed an innovative information program on intellectual freedom.
- Has upheld intellectual freedom principles in the face of a challenge.
- Has contributed to the literature of the field (print or non-print).
- Has been active in the establishment and/or continuation of a coalition relating to intellectual freedom at a local, state or national level.
- The recipient has not received another ProQuest, Inc. sponsored Intellectual Freedom Award in the same year.
- At least one supporting letter of reference must accompany the application form. The reference must substantiate that the applicant has upheld the principles of intellectual freedom, and has met at least one of the criteria listed above. The letter must be submitted by one of the following:
- District library supervisors.
- State, county or district school superintendents or building principals.
- State, district and local library organizations.
- Directors of curriculum and instruction.
- Directors of elementary and/or secondary education.
- State school library supervisors.
- Local school board members.
Nominations will be accepted by organizations or individuals. Self-nominations will not be considered.
Questions? Contact Allison Cline, 800-545-2433 x 4385
Sharon (Mass.) High School
DeKalb County (Ga.) School District
|2012||no award given|
Rancocas Valley Regional High School
Mount Holly, N.J.
Knox County (Tenn.) School District
|2009||no award given|
Magill Elementary School
|2007||no award given|
Thompson Intermediate School
Cholla Middle School
|2004||no award given|
|2003||no award given|
|2002||no award given|
|2001||Dianne Mc Afee Hopkins
University of Wisconsin-Madison
|2000||Linda G. Cornette
Dublin (Ohio) City Schools
|1999||no award given|
|1998||no award given|
|1997||Ginny Moore Kruse
Cooperative Children's Book Center
|1996||Ann K. Symons
Juneau-Douglas (Alaska) High School
|1995||no award given|
|1994||Ruth E. Dishnow
Texas Woman's University
|1993||no award given|
|1992||no award given|
Humboldt Unified District
|1990||Linda L. Waddle
Cedar Hills (Iowa) High School
|1989||William A. Murray
Jr-Aurora Public Schools
Kocurek Elementary School
East Arcadia School
Santa Fe High School
Santa Fe, N.M.
|1985||no award given|
|1984||Vicki H. Hardesty
Findlay High School
Santa Fe, N.M.
Greenville Middle School
Plains (Texas) High School